Chapter 1: Madly.

"I'm so tired" I whined as Maddie and I walked dragging my feet towards her house after school, it had been an exhausting Friday and we had so much homework to do, I couldn't wait to be done with high school.

We reached her porch and she took out her keys to open the door, I just wanted to get in and let myself fall in her sofa and probably sleep for the rest of my life but knowing Maddie she'll pressure me to work now so we can rest later.

"Hi baby" Maddie's mom said lovingly, reaching in to hug her before doing the same to me, she was almost like my second mom, I had been to Maddie's house more times than I can count. "Hi Mia, how was your day girls?" she asked looking a both of our exhausted faces, I opened my mouth to speak but I was cut off by Maddie saying how good it had been for her and how her already excellent grades could impresively get better, I just nodded not really agreeing with her, I hadn't had such a great day, I wasn't good at school I didn't have amazing grades so I kept quiet, I had nothing to brag about.

I had known Madison since a really young age but we grew up to be completely opposite poles, she was polite, never cursing out even if she was mad, she liked to study, go to church, dress like a lady and be a good daughter. Not like me but she kept me down on the earth, she knew me more than anyone, she pushed me to get good grades, she tried many times to make me stop drinking or smoking, she took me to church a couple of times before but stopped once I started making jokes while in mass, she knew I could be a public enemy if I wanted too, gosh, she even made me give her a penny everytime I said a bad word, we had to stop that because I was getting poor.

"That's good I'm so glad to hear that girls," Kelly said, rubbing Maddie's arm with a proud expression "Why don't you go to your room and do your work, I'll call you when dinner's ready" She said and we began walking up the stairs "Oh and don't be so loud, Tyler's sleeping in his room"

I felt my heart race for a moment, we hadn't seen Tyler in months since he had left for college. I guess Maddie knew he was coming back because she simply said yes and kept walking but I had to get myself together before continuing. Since Maddie was my best friend I was used to being around Tyler but as we grew up I couldn't deny that the years were doing him good.

Madison used to invite me over for sleepovers all the time, we used to watch movies with Tyler and his best friend, Josh until late, Maddie was usually the first one to fall asleep, Tyler would carry her to her room and I would stay up with them for a couple more hours, drinking RedBull, something neither Kelly nor Maddie were okay with, that's why we did it so late at night. Some nights it was only Tyler and I, we would turn off the T.V and share headphones, laying down on the floor or sometimes sneaking out to the roof to listen to music and discuss the meaning of the lyrics. I would be lying if I said I never felt like kissing him relentlessly under the starry sky but those where different times.

Tyler used to tell me I was born in the wrong time, he said I was too young for him, I never thought of that as an insinuation, but now that I think about it, I was too young and I'll forever be too young for him.

-

"The first step in solving a rational equation is to convert the equation to an equivalent one without denominators" Maddie explained pointing at the paper infront of me with her pencil, I heard her words but I wasn't sure I was listening. I looked down confused at the mess of numbers written down on the page "The next step is to set the equation equal to zero and solve" We had been trying for hours and I was not able to get my homework done, Maddie had finished her in no time so now she was trying to make me understand.

"I'm helpless" I huffed rubbing my eyes with the tip of my fingers, "Come on, let's try again but this time pay attention" She said bringing her eyes back to the paper "I am paying attention, dude" I said in an annoyed tone but careful not to hurt her feelings "I just don't get it" I sat up from her desk and let myself fall on her bed, burying my head on a pillow.