Chapter 7

I woke up to the sound of a commotion outside which was weird. It was a quiet street with habited houses on one side only. No one ever passed there. You could spend the day looking out the window and you'd see three people, not counting the neighbours.

Chuuya scared the shit out of me. He was standing by the door as I sat on the bed. "Something's off" He said before I could make a joke about the situation. The look on his face was so serious that I quickly assumed a similar behaviour and followed him as he headed towards the living room window.

There was not only a huge amount of people outside but police cars and ambulances too. People looked shocked. From my point of view I couldn't figure out why. All I could see besides the crowd was this huge painting on the wall that wasn't there before. It was beautiful but it bothered me at the same time. And the scared commotion wasn't helping.

We quickly changed and got ready to go out. As soon as we got to the scene the annoying policeman who I can never recall the name of approached me.

"I don't remember calling the agency" He growled.

"And you didn't. We were just close by and my curiosity stirred up with some many people" I smiled. The man just stared at me. "Besides, this doesn't seem to be a common case. Are you sure that you don't want the agency's help?"

He gritted his teeth. Was obviously having trouble with the situation. Then glanced at Chuuya. "Who's he?" He asked jerking his head in Chuuya's direction. I placed a hand on my partner's shoulder to stop him from having any reckless reaction and answered proudly.

"My new apprentice!"

I could feel Chuuya's body tense up as he held in the urge to punch me. Thankfully he is very good at biting his tongue and thinking twice when needed and was used to play along with me too. He looked up at the policeman with a smile. A forced one yet convincing.

We were allowed to cross to the interdict area with a growl. There was a group of police officers working, taking photos and writing down notes on their pads or even interviewing people. None dared to get close or touch the painting.

It was a very elaborate drawing of red Japanese camellias. I did like this flower but it seemed to be haunting me lately. They were facing opposite directions. The details were breathtaking...

"There was also a guy tied up in that area. He was severely injured and end up dying in the ambulance" The officer explained.

"Is he still in the ambulance?" He nodded. "Can I take a look?"

He led us both to the ambulance holding the victim. He was covered in a white blanket ready to be taken for autopsy. A nice gentleman uncovered the corpse. Chuuya tensed up next to me at the horrible sight. The victim resembled Chuuya. It explained why the officer asked who he was earlier.

I turned to the camellias painting again. Two red Japanese camellias just like in the Assassin's Den. A random target that looked like Chuuya. It was a message and the authors had to be one of them.

I analysed the painting further, paying special attention to the area where the victim had been tied up. "Chuuya" He immediately gave me all his attention. "Go stand over there, where the victim was"

He glanced at me but didn't question, doing just as he was told. He stopped before standing on the victims place. He ran his fingers on the painting. Twice actually. In different places and after a quick analysis of his own hand, he cleaned his fingers on his clothing and turned to me.

"The flowers were painted with blood"

My eyes narrowed and I signaled him to just pretend to be the victim.

It wasn't hard to see.

They say there's some beauty in death and that was exactly it. As well as a warning for both me and Chuuya. The flowers were disposed in a way that when complemented with the victim looked like gigantic blood wings. Their leaves and stalk seemed to be holding the victim and the roots draining its life.

They wanted us dead.

I called Chuuya back and turned to the grumpy officer. "Regarding the victim you are free to solve the case on your own. Now, the culprit is an ability user so you'll have to leave that part to us" He scowled and growled but didn't discuss the matter with me.

Chuuya and I headed towards the agency after that, to report. On the way something important called my attention. I sent Chuuya ahead of me to report to Kunikida while I followed my interest with a grin.

When I got to the agency, Chuuya and Kunikida were sat in front of a computer. A simple and completely normal sight to stumble upon if it wasn't for them chatting and laughing like they were best friends.

"Shouldn't you be working?"

Kunikida shot me that kind of 'are you fucking kidding me' look. "It's done, Dazai. Chuuya works a lot better than you. You should consider joining the agency and help me out as well as put up with him"

"I'll consider"

Seriously. This had to be a nightmare.

"So? I heard that you do pretty well at dancing" Kunikida grinned and Chuuya giggled.

Definitely a nightmare.

"Good to know that you are so dedicated to this case" He continued. "Now, in a more serious matter. We are now sure that they will try to kill you. They probably also know that both of you will be there and if they do, they will most likely try to eliminate you before doing anything"

Chuuya and I switched glances. We knew damn well what that meant and honestly, I couldn't have a better partner for such risky mission.

"You know the thing. Stay close to each other. Weapons will not be allowed but you got your abilities and hopefully Dazai hasn't lost his mafia touch"

Both of us nodded at his words.

"Unfortunately for you Dazai, I want you both back in one piece"

Chuuya took off his ugly fedora and handed it to Kunikida. "It's a promise"

Whenever Chuuya did that I melted. It was common of him to hand the hat to someone waiting each time he was to risk his life. Usually I'd be the one holding it but this time I was joining him so Kunikida was the chosen one.

He looked down at the hat in his hand still loading the encrypted message and looked up at Chuuya.

"You better. I don't want this on my desk for the rest of my days" Kunikida spoke to me next. "Take care of my sweet pumpkin, you hear me?"

Wait...what?! What did he just called Chuuya? You did not just-

"He will" Chuuya was looking at me as he said that and this strong shade of red took over his cheeks when I looked at him. I glanced sideways at Kunikida. He was smiling. He had done that on purpose. Bastard. How dare he? Whatever. Chuuya was just so cute and adorable and the more I looked at him the more he blushed.

"OK! That's enough. This is my desk. Go get a room. Go. Shoo. Get out"

"Kunikida...?"

"Go rest. You need energy for the party"

We nodded and left.