Chapter 5

4:01am

Something didn't feel right. I wasn't feeling right. When I opened my eyes, everything around was moving and I felt dizzy. I took my phone out and started scrolling through my notifications. There were Wattpad messages and three voicemail messages. It was weird because I never get voicemails. I listened to the first one.

First voicemail: "Didn't your teacher..."

The voice was a soft female's voice. A bit raspy like she had just woke up.

Second Voicemail: "Ever tell you."

That voicemail was less raspy and less soft. It sounded louder.

Third Voicemail: "Not to plagiarize."

   I thought that my heart would explode. My eyes were wide, letting in every ounce of the fading light. My body wanted to run fast, but instead, I stayed right where I was. The last three words didn't come from the phone...because I never pressed the play button. Standing in front of my door, with her back facing me was Jakayla. I could see the side of her face as she looked at me. It was just like the dream except she wasn't holding a book.

"Get out  of my room!" I yelled in fear.

"Oh," She laughed. "I will get out of your room, and so will you."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'll delete the stories. Just get out. If you do anything, you'll go to jail. You'll lose your job, you'll hate prison." I pleaded.

Jakayla laughed. "I know, I watched Orange is the New Black. Have you? I mean, you obviously don't know the consequences of plagiarism."

I stepped out of bed and ran towards the door but Jakayla grabbed me. "Hey! Not so fast"  Jakayla hissed. "You're not going anywhere."

"Please let go!" I begged. Even though I could feel her tight grip on my arm, it felt so unreal. I was begging myself to wake up, hoping it was a dream. 

"You're about to find out the real meaning of regret, Christy," she said while staring at me. There were tears in her eyes. Not tears of sadness or happiness. More of, I'm sorry I have to do this.

My favorite author in the world, now against me. My breathing fastened as she pushed me onto the bed. Jakayla lifted the blanket, then pushed me face down on the bed. Everything became dark when she covered me with a blanket. I quickly turned around and threw the blanket off of me, however, I wasn't in my room anymore. I was in another room. I felt my anxiety grow as I started looked around. The desk, the broken mirror on the floor, the word, 'Helen' written on the wall in cold hard blood. This can't be happening, I thought. This didn't feel real, but as soon as the door opened...I felt my heart stop. Just like the scene from Jakayla's book, the one I used and copied, there it was...there it was staring at me.