seventeen.

"Unbelievable. I don't know what's going on his mind. Do you know anything about his home life?" The principal questions Harry's core teacher, Ms. Anderson. "No I have no clue. I'm worried though. He was an excellent student when he first came. His grades at his previous schools are phenomenal." The two staff members furrow their brows in curiosity and worry.

They hear the door knob jiggle on queue right before they see Harry stroll in the principal's office. "Hello Mr. Styles, how are you?" Principal Hartley proceeds cautiously. "Fine." Harry says with a monotone reply while taking a seat. "Ok. Will your mother and father be joining us this afternoon?"

"They're both dead." Harry rolls his eyes before staring into Ms. Anderson's eyes. She stiffens, letting out a cough and awkwardly fiddling with her shirt. Only Harry's father is actually dead, but his mother is dead to him.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Will your current guardian be attending?" Principal Hartley asks hoping for a better answer this time. "No. It's just me. Now can we get on? What is this about?" Harry questions, wanting to leave.

"Uh, yes of course." Principal Hartley clears his throat while he grabs a stack of papers tucked into a yellow folder. "Harry, we've noticed a few things about you lately. We've noticed your grades are dropping enormously and this isn't normal for you. I know you haven't quite been here long, but according to your past schools, you're grades have been exceptional. We're just wondering, um, is there anything going on that maybe, we could help with?" He takes a deep breath waiting for Harry's reply.

While waiting for an answer, the staff members only hear Harry laughing. They have no idea why he finds this so funny. "There's nothing to it Eli. I simply just don't care. Not interested. Can I leave now?" The principal is taken aback by Harry's response, and the fact that he was called by his first name.

"Harry, no one just suddenly doesn't care out of the blue. Something has to be going on, something more. It's okay to tell us, we're here for you." Ms. Anderson nods assuringly hoping what she just said will spike something in Harry.

"Bullshit. You don't care about my well being, all you care about is your stupid ranking. You only want your students to have good grades so you'll be seen as the better school. I'm not like them. I'm not blind and you can't take that away from me. I'll be leaving now." Harry forcefully stands up pushing his chairs backwards, and walks out the room. Ms. Anderson jumps at the sudden bang of the now closed door. Principal Hartley just sighs and dismisses himself.

Ms. Anderson whispers to herself, "He's hopeless."

***

HE IS NOT HOPELESS YOU BE QUITE MS ANDERSON MY BABY BOY IS PRECIOUS

why am I yelling at my own book