Chapter 23

"Aria, are you awake?" Conor stroked her head softly, his touch equivalent to a feather's touch.

Her blurry vision gradually cleared and she found her beloved beside her, holding her hand in his.

"I'm fine." She smiled weakly as she coughed.

"I doubt that." His sigh was a long one, indicating the state of shock and nervousness he was going through. "I need to tell you something but promise me you will take it lightly. I really don't want to burden you with shit like this."

"What is it?" Her feeble eyes watched him more attentively than ever.

"Dee killed Anora and I've got evidence to that. Anora will finally receive justice." Conor held the book tightly in his hand, which he treated like a valuable jewel.

Aria was silent. She shut her eyes as her thoughts were at ease and she was content at the thought of legitimacy being served. But then the question arouse; how was Dee to be dealt?

Conor had the same question in his mind but he found a quick answer to it. "I will demand a trial. I should go to my lawyer right now."

"Conor, please consult Dee before doing anything. Please, for my sake."

He devotedly admired her meek nature and that was exactly why he had fallen in love with Anora, followed by Aria. He agreed on her terms, kissed her ever so fondly and flew out of the hospital in no time before heading for the police station. On his journey, he thought of nothing but hatred. A fire was lit inside of him, a fire of vengeance and hatred, and the only way to extinguish it was to get Dee punished severely. She was no normal woman.

As soon as he reached the station, he was taken in awe by the commotion spread around the place. Police officers were running around, an ambulance was waiting and he spotted his guilty sister, Erin, crying in one of the corners. A police officer approached him to ask him his reason for coming and Conor immediately, without even answering, inquired for the details of what had happened.

"A woman killed herself, committed a suicide." The officer chewed his gum casually as if nothing had happened. "Her name was Dee Devlin."

The officer's words rang through Conor's ear and they repeated themselves in his brain for a several times. He saw a stretcher being rolled out of the hospital which carried the dead body of his ex-wife. He knew he wasn't sad but he wasn't satisfied either. He wanted Dee to suffer at the hands of the court, not at the hands of herself. Returning to his car without even approaching his sister, he went back to the hospital, reflecting on all the times he had spent with his former wife. A sudden realisation was ignited, realisation of the fact that he was dearly loved by her and even though her love for him drove her mad, she still loved him. He knew the exact reason for why she had committed a suicide; she was disappointed.

Arriving to the hospital was no less than the commotion he had just attended because he found out that Aria was in the emergency room. Her heartbeat had dropped low and she was unable to breathe properly. This news broke him further more.