Chapter 2 - Half A Heart

Niall's P.O.V

I only had one slice of pizza and as soon as I was done, I went back upstairs to my room. Stepping over all of the objects on the floor, I put my bed in its normal position. I laid across my bed, my back resting on the backboard. I pulled my guitar from the window sill and rested it in my arms. I started playing a random tune and sang lyrics which I thought of from the top of my head.

'And being here without you,

Is like I'm waking up to,

Only half a blue sky,

Kinda there but not quite,

I'm walking 'round with just one shoe,

I'm half a heart without you,

I'm half a man at best,

With half an arrow in my chest,

I miss everything we do,

I'm half a heart without you."

That was exactly how I felt. I missed everything that we did together and I did feel half a heart without Zara, as I'm sure the other boys did too. I grabbed a spare sheet of paper and quickly wrote the lyrics down before I would forget them. I also wrote the chords of the guitar so I wouldn't forget them either. I remembered when we told Ed Sheeran about our feelings towards Zara and he came up with the some of the lyrics and melody of 'Little Things'. Although Ed never knew Zara personally, he was still extremely upset when he heard about her death and sang 'Little Things' as a tribute to her in his concerts.

"Hi, Niall, Harry told me... about what happened here," Louis said, standing by the door frame and observing my room.

"Yeah. It's all Ibrahim's fault. If he didn't live with us, Zara would still be with us!" I exclaimed, suddenly. Louis approached me.

"Calm down, Niall. Ibrahim's an idiot but what's done is done and at least he's in a juvenile court. That should knock some sense into him," Louis explained, taking a seat on my bed.

"Yeah but did you see his face? He didn't even seem guilty!" I yelled.

"I thought even at his level, he would feel some sort of guilt. -Anyway, what are you doing?" Louis asked, changing the subject. Luckily he did change the subject, otherwise I would have trashed the room even more.

"I just wrote a bit of a song," I mumbled, "It's about Zara."

"Can I hear it?" Louis asked eagerly. I nodded and played the song to him. His eyes never made any contact with mine.

"That's brilliant. It's so... true," he said sadly, "Maybe you could show the rest of the boys and we could put it on our third album?" I nodded in response.

Zayn's P.O.V

As soon as I was done eating, I trailed upstairs to Zara's room. I pushed the door open slowly, when I realised that Harry and Liam were with me.

"Go on, Zayn," Harry ushered. I nodded and took a deep breath. I only visited her room once after she... went.

I walked in and took in my surroundings. Everything was exactly the same, not that it would have been different. I pulled my finger across the desk where Zara would do her homework, a ball of dust following it. Then, her uneven pillow caught my eye.

I walked up to it, Liam and Harry behind me, and pushed her pillow off her bed. There, lay a simple notebook, to which Zara wrote 'Diary' on. I picked it up and opened it, while it rested on one hand. Using the other, I flicked through the pages. The first date was when she first started living with us.