Chapter 4 - Playing With Feelings

Zayn's P.O.V

We trailed down the stairs, when I quickly spun around.

"Niall, pull your sleeves down," I reminded, but to my surprise, Niall was in the middle of doing that. When we entered the living room, all eyes were turned to us.

"What?" Niall asked, taking a seat near Louis

"Nothing," Harry replied, looking at me. I showed no signs of hiding a secret and took a seat near Perrie again.

"Zayn, I need to talk to you." Perrie stood up, a signal for me to follow her. I walked to the hallway and waited for what Perrie had to say. What did she want to talk to me about?

"What is it... have I done anything wrong?" I questioned, cautiously.

"No, Zayn, you haven't done anything wrong. It's just that, I don't think things are working too well between us... we need to take a break." Perrie's eyes averted to the floor. I put my index and middle finger underneath her chin and lifted it up, so her eyes made contact with mine.

"W-why?" Tears were filling my eyes, but I forced them not to fall. When she looked into my eyes, I saw that she was crying - tears spilling down her smooth cheeks.

"Well, I just don't think it's working right now. I mean, since... Zara's just died, I think we should take a break before we do things we regret. Is that OK?" she explained, breathing a bit more heavily.

"Will it make you happy?" She nodded her head.

"I just want to do whatever makes you happy... so it's OK," I said, truthfully. As soon as she left the house, I slid against the wall in the hallway, and pulled my knees up to my chest. I locked my head in between my knees and sobbed.

Louis' P.O.V

"Guys, can you hear that?" I asked, after a muffled noise broke the silence.

"Yeah, I can... It sounds like someone's crying," Niall agreed.

"Zayn," Liam stated. We all rushed out of the living room and saw Zayn on the floor, crying. We all crouched down to his level and Liam and Harry rubbed his back.

"Zayn, what's wrong?" Niall questioned.

"Perrie... she-she's left me!" he whimpered. I immediately stood up and flung open the door.

"Perrie!" I called, running up to the figure with blonde hair in the distance. She was heading for her car, which I could see the sun was shining on. She jerked her head and looked at me, before quickening her pace to her car and turning her head back around. I ran to catch up with her and pressed my palm against the door of her car to stop her from getting in. She turned around and faced me.

"Louis, I need to go," she mumbled, tears swimming on her waterline.

"You can go when you tell me why you broke up with Zayn!" 

"You can ask him yourself."

"I need to hear it from you."

"Well, I think we need a break, you know, with the death of Zara and everything. He agreed to it."

"I know Zayn, he needs you. Why can't you see that? He only agreed because he loves you and wants you to be happy. Why can't you open your eyes and see that not everything's about you? Wait... I see how it is... you only want him when he's happy, because you don't want to pick up the pieces when he's sad or angry! If you had a heart, you would stay with him and help him!" I exclaimed, anger evident in my voice.

"Louis, it's not like that... I can't handle all of this-" she started.

"You know what? I don't even want to hear any excuses, just go," I interrupted, quite harshly. I released my pressure on the door and watched as she slid into the car, wiping her tears on the way. She started the engine and drove off.

I ran back to the house and as soon as I entered, Harry pulled me into the living room.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Perrie just showed her true colours, didn't she?" I replied, rhetorically.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it seems like she only wants to be with him when he's happy, not when he's upset-"

"What do you mean? She went to Zara's funeral with him, and Zayn was pretty upset then."

My eyes turned big in realisation. "I'm such an idiot, Harry."

"Why, what did you do?"

"I told Perrie that she used Zayn. I-I didn't let her explain why she wanted to break up with him. Harry, I messed up this time."

"Don't worry Louis, just go to her tomorrow and apologise or something."

Perrie's P.O.V

How could Louis say that I was using Zayn? I loved him and the only reason I broke up with him was because my nan was slowly dying... she was diagnosed with leukaemia. I didn't tell Zayn because I didn't want him to witness another death; that would be too much for him. I knew my nan was going to go soon, so I wanted a break until I recovered from her death. It hurt to think about my nan. 

"Perrie, sing for me, darling," Nan coaxed. I was spending the weekend with her and she heard me humming. She now wanted me to sing for her.

"What should I sing?" I asked, standing up from the sofa and turning to face her.

"Anything," she coughed. Suddenly, blood was spurting from her mouth and dribbling down her nose. 

"Nan!" I exclaimed, running to the kitchen and grabbing paper towels. I wiped as much blood as I could.

"Jonnie!" I screamed, causing Jonnie to drop his football and come back inside the house. 

"Call the ambulance," he ordered, finding a pulse from my nan. She had lost consciousness and the blood was still flowing. I picked up the house phone and called the police.

"Hello, which service do you require?" asked a soft and gentle voice, in contrast to my panicked and worried voice.

"Ambulance!" I quickly said.

"What's happening?" asked a more gruff voice.

"My nan, she-she's bleeding in her mouth and nose and now she's not conscious!" I cried.

"OK, tell me your address." I obeyed and within five minutes, I could hear the sirens. Jonnie and I were pulled away, being comforted by nurses, while Nan was taken away on a stretcher.

That was when I found out she was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia. Now, she only had a maximum of two months to live, or so the doctor informed us last week. I couldn't even begin to imagine life without her.

(A/N: Thanks for the 36 reads, 7 votes and 12 comments! How did you like this chapter? I felt a bit upset writing about Perrie's nan like this, and I'm sorry for the false information about her nan. What do you guys think will happen next?)