Chapter 1 - A Choice

Zayn’s P.O.V

My palms were getting sweaty. It had been two weeks since the doctors announced the death of Zara.  I was sitting on the floor, leaning against my bed. Tears were flowing down my face and my breathing turned rapid. Frustrated, I ran my hands through my hair. I then picked up the object which lay beside me.

The blades of the scissors shone underneath the light, reflecting on the walls. I opened up the scissors and pulled up the sleeve of my thick jumper. I took a sharp breath and pressed the blade lightly against my wrist. Repeatedly, I adjusted my grip on the scissors, my hands shaking.

I couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t. 

I threw the scissors across the room and rubbed the part of my wrist where I was about to... cut myself. I couldn’t handle her death properly, so I turned to what Zara used to do. Self-harm. I had never done it before and I knew that Zara wouldn’t want me to start doing it now. I could tell that she hated doing it to herself and I didn’t want to be the person who would regret it in the future.

Everyone was asleep and as I was about to drift off into my own world, there was a quiet but rapid knock on my bedroom door. The door was opened by Zara, who looked extremely upset and as if she was going to cry any minute.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, sitting on the edge of the bed. I opened my arms as an invite and she approached me slowly.

“Zayn, I regret it so much!” she sobbed into my shoulder.

“What do you regret?” I asked, my hand on the back of her head.

“I regret it all!” she cried, soon turning silent. She must have had a nightmare. She quickly fell asleep in my arms so I picked her up and carried her off into her room.

Just as I lay her in her own bed, her eyes slightly flickered and she mumbled, “Don’t ever do it, Zayn.”

Now, I understood what she meant. But now, it was too late; she was gone.

“Zayn?” asked Liam, approaching me, concern and worry filling his eyes.

Liam’s P.O.V

Zara. We all missed her so much and even though it had been two agonising weeks without her, we hadn’t gotten over her death yet. The day that Zara died was heart breaking. It was on her and Niall’s birthday and while Zayn was talking to her. I remembered the moment as if it were yesterday. I remember having to hear the long drone from the monitor, pulling Zayn out of the room and hearing the two words which I dreaded.

I was about to go to my room, to be alone for a while, when I decided to check up on Zayn. I pushed open the door and saw Zayn on the floor, his cheeks streaked with tears. Then, I saw the pair of scissors, glowing underneath the light. Zayn couldn’t have, could he?

I walked over to him. “Zayn?” I questioned. He looked up at me and the tears weren’t stopping. I bent down to his level, as he was sitting on the floor, and grabbed his hand forcefully. I pulled up the sleeves of his jumper and checked for marks. I then scanned his face and neck, and any other exposed skin.

I pulled Zayn into a hug and he continued to cry, a trigger to my tears.

“She wouldn’t have wanted you to do it, Zayn,” I reminded. He nodded into my shoulder and pulled away.

“Thanks, Liam,” he thanked, wiping his tears. I wiped mine too.

“Should we have our dinner now?” I questioned. He nodded his head and we trailed downstairs to the kitchen.