Chapter 3

Screaming was all Jack could focus on. The sounds were making him go insane. He sat, curled up in the corner by the Safe Room, covering his ears with widened eyes, tears streaming down his face. These were innocent people! Why was Mark using them for his demented experiment? This was not who Mark was, and Jack could tell something was up. Mark wasn't typically this secretive, or mysterious. The other thing was, his hair was dyed purple for some reason. What was the deal?

The screaming stopped for a bit, and Jack relaxed for that short amount of time, but paranoid that it would start up again, and it did. Jack was so scared that his muscles locked up, he was shaking uncontrollably. He couldn't control himself. Eventually, had to stifle his own screaming so that he wasn't put under suspicion.

Bob opened the door from the inside, and saw Jack sitting there, looking insane, his glasses were sitting on the floor next to him.

"Jack?" Bob acknowledged, concerned. "Are you doing ok?"

"Yeah," Jack lied. "I'm, I'm fine."

"I know you're lying," Bob teasingly scolded. "I'm concerned for you. You haven't been yourself since Mark started acting strange."

"That's the whole point!" Jack whisper-shouted. "Mark's not acting like himself, he's acting more like, like, Darkiplier!"

"Yeah," Wade stepped out and agreed. "Something's definitely up, but we can't let that show through. If Mark sees any wavering loyalty, he said there'd be 'punishment'."

"That's why I'm doing my absolute best to try and hide my fear and growing insanity!" Jack complained. "It's painful! I just wish Signe were here. I'd feel safer if that were the case."

"Yeah," Bob and Wade said simultaneously. All three of them agreed that it would be a lot easier if Mandy, Molly, and Signe were there, too. However, Mark didn't seem to care. he was focused on the Humatronics experiment. At the same time, Mark had seemed so terrifying, that no one wanted to even bring up the idea of saying "no" to him, for fear of him killing them for defiance.

Footsteps were heard, and Jack grabbed his glasses and jumped to his feet. He didn't want Mark to suspect anything.

"Boys," Mark acknowledged, then walked off to his room. But Jack gathered the courage to catch up with him and ask something.

"Mark," Jack called after him.

Mark stopped and turned to face him. "Yes, Sean?"

Jack froze for a moment. Mark didn't usually call him by his real name.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Of course," Mark nodded. "We can talk in my room. Don't worry, I'm not going to strap you to a chair and beat you to death, even if you have any suspicions. I'll explain my reasonings first."

Jack was nervous, but took a deep breath. He'd have to trust him. Jack followed Mark, and luckily, Mark kept his word. They sat down at a small table across from each other, and Mark asked Jack what was going on.

"I just don't know why we're proceeding with the Humatronics experiment," Jack told him. "I'm concerned that it will have negative effects on their bodies and minds."

"That's why we're experimenting, Jack," Mark explained. "We're trying to see if it's possible to create cyborgs by reanimation."

"But they're innocent people who were living happy lives, and you took that away from them!" Jack argued. "Why couldn't we find freshly dead bodies in the morgue?"

"They could've been dead for too long," Mark explained. "We need bodies that have still retained energy. It wouldn't work any other way."

"I see," Jack conceded. "But why are we using controlled A.I.?"

"We have to use it for the early stages," Mark explained. "Then, if everything goes to plan on controlled A.I., we can move on to self-sustaining A.I.."

"I guess that makes sense."

"Tell you what," Mark decided. "Since you came to me asking for information on how this whole experiment is supposed to work, now you can understand it better. How about I give you full access to the Humatronics' A.I.s once the development process is complete?"

Jack was shocked at this decision. "Why me?"

"Because I trust you, Jack," Mark smiled..

"Alright," Jack decided. "I accept this privilege, and understand that this can be taken from me."

"That's good. Thank you."