Chapter XIX : Once More

4 years later

At the airport

"Nee-chan! Welcome back!"
A sweet and high voice joyfully greeted, as another young woman walked towards her.

The owner of the voice was a girl with a brown, puffy bob, and skin as white as snow, an appearance that befitted her name.

Her name was Yuki.

The taller person, which was said to be Yuki's nee-chan, briskly walked towards Yuki and gave her a tight hug. It has been 4 years, after all.

Both of them are no longer at the age where they can aimlessly hang out and play around. Yuki is already a high school senior, an important age where you set your goals, learn to be more independent and mature in life.

The other person owned long, pink hair, and a light, fluffy layer of fringe on her forehead; pink cheeks and lips with a light tone of red. From her attitude to appearance, the old her was nowhere to be found.

And yet, Aki is still not ready... to face him. The person whom she feels the most guilty to.

Even a response from him would be wishful thinking now. Even if she said sorry, he wouldn't just happily open his arms and forgive her. Even if she cried, it was her fault to begin with. What if he had already forgotten about her, ironically what she used to hope for? After 4 years, the past should've faded, and any wavering feelings in the middle have probably disappeared into thin air. Maybe it was best that they don't meet again, so that she would not feel the blossoming emotions she had sealed away.

But destiny kept teasing her. Sitting at a table nearby, is the person she's most afraid to see.

"Yuki honey, sorry. Can you leave first? I promise to be back soon, there's something I need to do first." Aki softly said, hiding the slight trembling in her voice.

"But!... You just got back! You don't know how long I've been waiting for a heart-to-heart sister gossipping session!!" Yuki replied sulkily, unhappy at her sister's strange request.

She noticed Aki was looking somewhere, a café? Airport cafés are not yummy though.

It took her a few more glances to notice someone familiar sitting there. Did someone tell Hiyama-nii that Aki-nee was returning today? Oh well, not my business. Hope they get back together or something ehe.

Knowing that she came all the way just to become a third-wheel, Yuki devastatingly shook her head.

"Fine, give me your luggage. I'll tell mom and dad that you'll be returning home late. Better make it up to me tomorrow!" Yuki said helplessly.

"Thanks, Yuki. I'll treat you to all of your favourites tomorrow."

---
After Yuki left, Aki tried to blend in with the crowd while observing Hiyama in the least inconspicuous manner possible.

Aki's POV

He had grown taller and surprisingly even more handsome; but the kind eyes and gentle smile remained. He was looking out the picture window that featured the newly renovated airstrip, the warm sunlight encompassing him. Aki immediately felt a fluffy tingling in her heart, but the stinging sensation was suppressing her obvious excitement... The past is now coming back to haunt her, all the happy memories aprubtly whirling back.

"Tell me... Hiyama. Have you already forgotten me, and moved on? How was your life in the past 4 years? Did you manage well without me? Did you miss me..even just a bit..or did you find someone new?...."
Aki wanted to ask, but only managed to plaster a wry smile on her face, knowing she is no longer in a fitting position to do so.

She understands it now. The word 'stranger' was easy for her to say, but must have had a been such a painful blow to him. The hurt she inflicted could not have been described in a single word... It's a type of pain which tormented you from the inside, and slowly ate away your heart until there was nothing left. Was this how he felt back then...?

Her hands started to tremble and tears rolled down once more. Wasn't she supposed to mature up, or are there feelings which will never change? Maybe she never had the proper closure to this relationship. Instead of crying like a kid, shouldn't she be smiling happily after a "heartfelt" reunification... The tears kept streaming down her face, leaving her in another hopeless situation.

As if noticing the gaze, Hiyama slowly turned to find Aki standing in the crowds.

Hiyama's POV

All I can do now is frown at Aki's crying face, and quietly chide myself for not taking care of her... 4 years ago. She's crying like a helpless child, and only I knew how terribly I wanted to fly to her side and give her a hug.

But it's not the same as before. I can't freely pull her into my arms, feel her warmth, or place a kiss on those beautiful lips of hers anymore. She's not my girlfriend anymore! Despite knowing that, why can't I get through the killing pain of losing her?

The past years, I have never managed to move on. I wasn't able to bring myself to forget even a tiny part of her, the concept itself frightened me. My head was filled with thoughts about her, and while not to the point of total obsession, every free moment I had was dominated by flashing memories of us that failed to escape me. She came to my life...yet she didn't go.

I really wonder if we could go back to that time.

Aki's POV

Stop! Please...don't look at me now..!

Letting you see me cry 4 years ago was embarrassing enough, and what right do I have to cry?

I'm so sorry.

I missed you.

I never stopped loving you.

I still do.

Why?... Why can't I hide these overflowing emotions?

I promised myself that I wouldn't cry, yet broke that promise myself... Maybe his appearance was still to early for me. I can't help but continue to cling to Hiyama of the past...the person who probably doesn't exist anymore. 

After all... It has been 4 years since we parted and went our own ways.

And yet.

I still feel lost, like I'm drowned deep in the ocean with no way out, being mesmerized and bound to freeze as our eyes met. The regret grew tenfold, and my heart once more beated deliriously with delight once more because of you.

Do you still love me?

---
Narrator's

A person can deceive their thoughts, but can't ever surpass the heart. There are things that will be engraved in your mind, and even though you don't want to show them, you will subconsiously act to them.

Love is like a wave. It acts strong and tries to sweep away the sand, yet in the end, it gets tired of the act, and gradually gets softer, revealing the memory fragments it was so desperate to hide.

A wave from the heart, however, abounds in so many emotions, that it can't get through with its acts. There are times people can see through it like looking at a piece of transparent glass; they can see the despair beneath the smile.

They helplessly think about each other, but can't show it, nor can they say it aloud.

4 years apart, 2 people, yet 1 emotion...

End of chap.
------------

A/N:
Sorry it's a cursory chapter, since I had some difficulties, but I'm sure I'll publish a better chapter next time. Who wants Natsume and Yuki next time??

Or I should just continue with Aki and Hiyama next chapter?

Thanks for reading! <3