Chapter XVIII : Distance

"Aki is.. In America?..."
Hiyama was startled. Wasn't Aki next to him, holding his hand a week ago? Is this why she broke up with him? He's confused, why...and how...?

The sky has turned dark, reflecting Hiyama's soul. The storm had just started roaming the streets and the rain showered down into the city, as if attempting to cleanse Hiyama's heart of the anguish. The rain has blurred his vision, though he can't tell between the raindrops and his tears anymore.

He's filled with despair and loneliness. Aki left him...twice! He shouldn't have left her alone on that day, he should've hold her back no matter what. Even if she pushed him away, he should have pulled her back...

Hiyama was in a total shut down. He locked himself in his room for a week, everywhere reminded him of Aki. He blamed himself, for letting Aki go, for being a bad boyfriend, though he knew, she won't come back even if he regrets his actions. All he can do now is to wait patiently.

-------------

"Aki-nee-chan, come back!"
Yuki screamed from the depths of her heart, struggling not to freak out.

She knew Hiyama was only her childhood friend, nothing more, yet can't help to worry about him. She wasn't sure if she was still in love with Hiyama, but why does her heart throb so painfully every time she sees him?! She has to learn to forget Hiyama, and try harder to recognise Natsume's feelings. Yuki knew Aki and Hiyama were still deeply in love, a sister's intuition, perhaps, so she decided to be by his side, as a friend.

Everybody says you can't be 'friends' once you fall in love, unless you've forgotten about that person. However, Yuki doesn't follow that. She thinks becoming friends during the process of forgetting is the best way; you don't need to act or avoid each other. Yuki remembered few months earlier, when she was being all depressed because of a broken heart, yet going out with Natsume helped her forget, and made her happier!

The only problem she'd have to deal with by herself is who she's in love with, or is she not in love with anyone anymore...? This time, Yuki will not rush things; she'd just go with the flow of time. Just like Aki, she thinks that time is the absolute solution.

Aki's POV

*Breaths in*
*Breaths out*

"Ring ring ring!"
I inhaled and exhaled calmly, picked up the phone and dialed Yuki's number.

"Hello, is that you, Aki-nee?!"
Yuki answered in an excited tone.

After all, it has been 1 month since I moved to America, and Natsume had went to Australia in order to succeed his father's company. Yuki must be lonely!

We sat and chatted for hours, about our daily lives, our studies, until I realized it was time I should go to sleep. Maybe.. I can ask Yuki just a tiny little problem..?

"Ehm... Yuki... Is H-Hiyama o-okay??"
I spoke with a halt, trying to hide the brief sorrowful tone I almost made.

...Why ...are there tears?.. Why is there a burning sensation in my throat...why do I want to shout for Hiyama to come back?...

"He's doing fine, Aki-nee... Though he..umm...might be kind of anaemic right now... We miss you, Aki, especially him! So..do come back, will you?..."
Yuki replied.

No! I...

"We a-already broke up, Yuki.. There's nothing left to discuss. Anyways, thanks Yuki! D-do remember to study and eat well, see you! -Toot-toot-"
I answered as I held the phone in shaky hands, tumbling across the room. Why did..this have to happen? If they are happy, I'd also be happy, but why do they seem so sad?

The solution now... there's none! Just wait a few more years, I'm sure the pain will reside. Please, forget me...!

-------------

Narrator's POV

Natsume was forced into succeeding his father's company, or else his father will make him LIVE in another country permanently. Meaning he can't meet his own sister, meet Yuki, and his friends... so he reluctantly agreed to study abroad.

Hotel management, restaurant management, supervising budgets, meeting partners, studying finance, marketing, commodity, ...
Natsume wanted to give up, but quitting would mean giving up on his family, his normal school-life and Yuki.

...Does it cost that much to have a normal relationship, ...a normal life?

Aki and Hiyama... 2 different people that fell for each other.
Yuki and Natsume... another contrasting pair.
Will fate bring them together, or erase everything as autumn comes... as the wind blows away all emotions and memories, into another locked warp of the past? A simple sentence, "Can I be with you in the future?", can lighten up many hearts, but cannot ensure their real future. The weight of words can be immense, but can they surpasee the multiple inhibitions life presents?

And people's hearts are unpredictable! It's like a sunshower, it might pass by coldly, might treat you frigidly, yet it might just be lonely and longing for the tender caress of sunlight. It creates a burning flame in our minds, then immediately stamps out the fire; it mutters words of love, then quickly forgets.

Are they able to forget each other ...after coming such a long way? Will the distance and the matter of time completely separate them, and will it bring anyone closer?

Wait... for destiny to answer.

Wait... for fate to find the key in it's raveled threads.

What will be there for you... will it be a shining ray of light at the end of the tunnel, or will it be an abyss of despair?

Just,

Wait.

--------------
~End of chap~

A/N:
Um so thanks to anyone who has devoted themselves into reading this boring story of mine! Really, lots of hugs and thanks to anyone who has been sticking closely to the plot, the story might have a time skip. Sorry, it's progressing too fast, right? But again, thank you all of you who are reading this^^