Affinity

Elwyn's P.O.V.

"I don't know if you guys know this because I've never told anyone about it, because I didn't think it was really that important," I mind linked my pack, continuing, "but Cyrus understand human speech, past my commands and 'doggie speak'. I thought it was a given that you guys knew as well, but dragons are creatures of intelligence. Not as something you can tame and train, but something -- someone -- you can befriend. Cyrus understood what Tawni said, and his rage overflowed into me, where he tried to channel his anger into me and take control."

There was complete silence before Shea mind linked back, "Wow. Cool. Awesome. Terrifying. Is this normal?"

"I don't think so. Technically, I shouldn't even be able to have access to Cyrus's powers, but then again it could be an extension of my powers. In which case, it makes sense that he should be able to gain control over me as I would be able to use his powers. Still, I'll be talking to Cyrus about this later. This won't happen again," I assured.

"It better not. It's dangerous and if Cyrus loses control while you're also out of control, the entire world might be destroyed!" Kaede exclaimed, and I winced.

"You're so dramatic," Gabriel scoffed and I chuckled.

"Okay, maybe not, but you get my point," Kaede sighed, "Get this settled ASAP, are we clear?"

"Crystal. Now let's get back to training," I breathed a sigh of relief before glancing sharply down at Cyrus.

"You are in so much trouble, mister," I growled and Cyrus whined, looking at me with his "sorry" expression. He had been feeling guilty pretty much the whole morning, but I couldn't just let this go.

I watched Kenan working doubly hard at training, almost matching Nolen. Almost. I pitied the poor guy. What did he think of his sister? How does he deal with her? Life was really unfair sometimes, but then again, life was fair because it was unfair to everyone.

************************************************************

Kaede and I joined in some of the activities to keep ourselves trained as well, and the day soon ended. I slumped down in my chair after we finished dinner.

"This. Is. So. Boring," I groaned, "Maybe I should enroll back into high school and try to graduate."

"Hold up. There's a difference between being bored and being crazy. Are you crazy?" Gabriel asked.

"Gabs, you are pretty much the only person here who had a full education all the way to college and then further med school. Kaede was kicked out and had to take over the Ghost Pack at 16, Shea stopped when she was 9, Cailin stopped just before she could graduate high school. But yeah, you're right. No thanks," I stated.

Note that I used "stop" very loosely here. They were pretty much all forced out of school simply due to circumstance. Gabriel had "home-schooled" Shea and Kaede together, but I hadn't been around then and completely missed it. It was often described as "disastrous" and "hellish", but the results were wonderful. All of us had rough pasts, but those experiences and memories made us who we were today.

"Do you guys ever wonder what it would have been like to finish school?" I asked absentmindedly.

"Yep. And I think it'd be hellish. Can you imagine? Thousands of people all in one place, sitting, writing, interacting, trying to befriend anyone who crossed their way?" Shea said.

"It's slightly worse than that," I laughed, the memories of my high school career surfaced and I couldn't help but shudder, "Yeah, I'm never going to try and finish. I'm done."

We laughed and talked a bit more before going back to our rooms. I sat with Cyrus in front of me, and I could tell he was dreading it. I linked to him and he hesitated to answer.