Rage

Elwyn's P.O.V.

I sat at the edge of my bed and sighed. Kaede had explained before that should one mate reject the other, the rejected mate can choose to accept rejection or just live like how I was at the moment. After rejection, an ache begins in both mates' chests, and both parties lose interest in anyone except for each other. After accepting rejection, however, the ache goes away. From here, there is no turning back. The mate bond is broken in this lifetime, but will repair itself in the next.

The two mates can't have what we call "pseudo-mates" either, which were two non-mate wolves claiming each other as they cannot find their true ones. The bond between pseudo-mates can be undone, but only by one of the pair's true mates. The two mates who have rejected each other also cannot have any children from the point of acceptance onward. This is the Moon Goddess Luna's punishment for breaking the mate bond, a sacred gift that other species do not have.

I was happy enough with my current pack. I didn't need Nolen to make me happy. I was going to accept his rejection. But this had to be done face to face, not over a medium, or alone. This trip was my chance to end it once and for all. There was a knock on the door and I assumed it was the girls.

"Come in."

When I saw who they were, I jumped right off my bed, eyes wide in surprise. It quickly turned to anger and I clenched my fists to keep from lashing out.

"I would say it's great to see you two after two years, but we all know I'd be lying. What do you want?" I growled.

Cyrus stepped in front of me and bared his teeth at my parents, growling as well.

"You dyed your hair back then, didn't you? It used to be black, right? You got a dog. I thought you had always wanted one," my mother said, reaching forward to pet Cyrus, but immediately snatching her hand back when it nearly became his new chew toy.

"Feisty," she commented, chuckling nervously.

"No, I didn't dye my hair. It became my natural hair colour two years back. And even if it hadn't been black, you wouldn't have remembered what colour it was anyway. And no, he isn't feisty, he just doesn't like you. I suggest you leave. I don't want to see you two," I said, not looking at them.

Did they really think now that I was a Ghost, they could pretend the first 18 years of my life never happened? What's wrong with them? Then again, if nothing was truly wrong, they wouldn't have treated me the way they did.

"Elwyn, we just wanted to apologise and seek your forgiveness," my father explained.

My head snapped up to them; I was furious.

"You mean force me to forgive you or else you'll beat the crap out of me? Or there won't be dinner for me if I don't, huh? You think you can just treat me like utter shit for 18 years of my life, and then when I'm the perfect daughter you want, I'll be so grateful for your help? Let me tell you this. You are the person who gave birth to me, and you are the sperm donor. I never have, and never will, see you as my parents. You shunned me when you were supposed to protect and support me. You didn't care how I felt, as long as you were happy. You know, if you weren't ready to be parents, why'd you rush it? Why make me suffer when it could all have been avoided? You two are the most selfish people I have ever seen, and that will probably never change. Get out before I decide to kill both of you."

My voice rose to a shout and I was fuming. I wasn't going to let them do as they pleased anymore. Cyrus barked at them ferociously, and they quickly retreated. Their unexpected appearance had ripped open old wounds and I brushed away the tears that escaped. I had been too naive when I thought I only had to deal with Nolen. I had to deal with an entire pack, not just one person. This wasn't going to be easy.