Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Not so Humble Beginings

Azaiah stared out over the city that never sleeps, because there has to be plenty of ation and bad guys to kick around in New

York. That and the author knows the city, at least somewhat, so lets’ set it here because why not. He scalled the streets below, hearing the sound of police sirens in the dianctace, and that told him that he had to spring into action, th world was in danger, and he was getting bored. Jumping from the apartment’s roof he was standing on, he starting flying into the sky, like superman, but without that bulky red cape. I mean, how was he supposed to jump into action and save the day if everyone saw the bright red that gave him away, not very heroic that way. He spun a few times, trying not to go too fast, not wanting to fly into another bird and have to explain why he had feathers all throughout his hair. As he flew, he could see the police sirens and lights, their flashing lights. That had to mean he was on the right track. Or it was another club who was breaking a few noise level regulations, but he’d deal with that oo, or at least kick their butts if they tried to talk back to him. He was the law, the enforcement of truth and peace, wheather the city wanted him to be or not.

Flying further, he saw what they were doing, the police seemed to be cahsingn some kind of guy in an old beat up sadden. Was it a drunk driver? A homeless hobo trying to steal a car, or some rich super villain who was about to finally be brought to justice. Though for Azaiah, it didn’t matter, they were all crimnals, those who had to be pushed, brought down, and thrown in jail where they belonged. However, as he started to decend after them, the cold winter’s air blowing in his face, he heard the sound of a woman screaming. That wasn’t too uncommon, sadly enough. He never knew what it was, it could just be someone who got on the wrong subway and ended up in time square like a certain Canadian he knew. But this tiem of night, he knew that it had to be something more, and the police seemed to have a handle over whatever that case was. This way he wouldn’t have to deal with Sherif Hull yelling at him for disrupting the piece and unecisarry destruction of property or whatever it was that he was yelled at for last time.

Azaiah came closer to the ground, carefully landing on the roof of a three story home, and saw the person screaming down below. He had trouble making out much, only the street light able to give him light. However, he could see enough to know things were looking back. The women was backing up, and three large burly men were closing in on her, one of them appeared to be hlding his hadn out, almost as if it was a jester of friendliness, but the fact he held a knife that gleemed in the night in the other hand told him that this wasn’t just an innocent advance. “Stop foul fiend!” Azaiah shouted, causing the four of them to look upward.

“Hey Giles, I think that birdy up there is talking to us.”

“Oh, is that a parrot? I need better glasses.” Giles looked down, reaching in his pocket for something. “Polly want a cracker?”

“Ojay, I’ve been compared to Justin Bieber, told I looked like a gay superhero, and that I was as strong as a twig, but I’ve never been called a parrot before!” Azaiah said. He did kind fo like it when he could be provoked like that, get a bit angry, and it wasn’t just his fault that some of these guys ended up needed stiches or a cast. Granted, in many cases they started it and he was only defending himself and the innocent, and really, who could fault him for that?

He jumped to the ground, landing gracefully, or at least as gracefully as one can when they don’t see the garbage dumpster below so dive right into it. After wading his way after that, and knowing he’d need to take at least a 5 horu shower when he got home, he emerged again. “Now where was I?” he asked, trying to sound as heroic as he could while smelling worse than the average homeless person.