Chapter 18: A School, A Plan, and A Slap

Azaiah never really felt like a secret agent before when he went to school. Normally it was more like a prisoner. However, the fact that they were flying to school under the cover of the clouds really made things quite a bit different for him. “So do you do this every day?” Alex asked.

“Nah, my parents don’t like me to use my powers where peoole could see me.”

“So your parents know about this whole thing?”

Azaiah nodded. There was a lot he could tell Alex, and due to the fact that Alex was kind of dragged into this whole mess, Azaiah felt like he owed him a few answers. Then again there was the tiny little fact that he was sworn to secrecty, by the mlitary, th president, and most importantly, by his parents. “I can’t say a  lot about it though. I mean, well I could, but I really don’t want to end up grounded until I’m 30.”

They arrived on the roof of the school, right where the roof’s entrance to the school was. “This way,” Azaiah said.

“I thought you didn’t come this way.”

“You asked if I did it every day,” Azaiah said opening the door up and the two of them hurried inside. Once in, they came through the janitor’s closet that lead to the roof and were in the halls of the school, the people congregated before lunch started. He scanned the halls, looking for any of his friends acting bizzare. As Alex came along side Azaiah, he bumped a shovel that was leaning against the wwall and it fell over. Azaiah went to pick it up, however he saw something that he knew he shouldn’t have. There was dried blood on the edge of it.

“Uh oh,” he said, feeling a bit light of breath, and just just because of the fact that he had a collapsed lung. “this isn’t good.”

“What is it?” Alex asked.

“You see this shovel?”

“Yeah, sorry I knocked it over.”

Azaiah swallowed hard, the fact that he is also the author’s muse giving him knowledge beyond just his simple story. “No, this is not an ordinary hosvel. It is known as the Traveling Shovel of Death, it goes from story to story, including violence.”

“Huh?”

“Be careful Alex,” Azaiah said placing his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “There is a good chance someone  will die, or at least become very close to it soon.”

“Dude, you worry too much, that was probably just some dried mud or something, it can’t be blood.”

Azaiah wanted to believe that was true, but he knew that it was sometimes best to overthink things rather than just let them pass by him undetected. If it was true that he could pretend it wasn’t there, he surely would, but not when there was a very good chance it would end up  in a lot of pain for one of his friends.

“Yeah, now lets’ go look for the others.” Azaiah knew that DJ and Stevie had first lunch, so they would be the first ones they could find. Azaiah and Alex carefully made their way to the cafeteria, figuring that would be the best place for them to run into their friends. It could be a bit strange when Alex went up to people and slapped them, but they were all friends. At least he hoped that they would be after that.

Comign down the stairs, they saw Stevie checking her phone. Azaiah wondered if it would have been best to just text them in advance, but he then thought about how Cicada might have been tracking his phone, so that could give up their plan. “Hey Stevie!” Azaiah yelled and she waved to them.

“Hey, I thought you had lunch later on.”

“We have a test toay,” Azaiah said with a shrug of his shoulders. “Have you been feeling strange at all today?”