20: Lost and Found

Justin's POV:

"Justin?" My moms soft angelic voice filled my room as she knocked slightly and walked into my room. "Sweetheart you've been cooped up in here for days." I laid there in my dark room. It's been 3 weeks since i last talked to Melea. I talked to her the morning of her appointment, everything was perfect.  We were perfect, laughing and joking around. Making plans to spend time together, going on dates and so many others things. She said she would call me after her appointment, but assured me everything was fine, and then she just, just disappeared. Gone. I lost count after calling her so many times, and texting her. I've been sleeping next to my phone in hopes that she would finally call or text me back letting me know she was okay. But nothing.

3 weeks and I havent gotten a simple " i'm okay" text. Carolines a mess, she hasnt heard from her either. She said everything was fine, that she was okay and they were going to celebrate that night, but she never made it home. We filed a missing persons report, sent out an amber alert and even posted on every website asking if anyone has seen or heard from her. "Alfredo called earlier asking if you wanted some company, do you want me to tell him no?" My mom spoke again. A single tear escaped. Alfredo was the last person that saw Melea. I dont understand why she never said goodbye at least if she was gonna leave. Was this her plan this whole time? Just disappear when things get better and leave everyone behind heartbroken? 

My phone started vibrating and ringing which made me throw my blanket off of me and answer. " Melea? Are you okay?" I said alarmed waiting for her sweet soothing voice to let me know shes okay and that shes coming home to me. "Uh, no bro it's me. Im sorry." My heart dropped when i heard Elijahs voice. "Can I come over to talk?" he asked as i sat there, it was like i lost Melea all over again. " I don't know man,-" " It's about Melea." He said firmly. "Okay yeah, come over." I hung up and tossed my phone on my bed and stared at the floor. "Was that her honey?" I was so deep in my thoughts that i forgot my mom was still in my room. " No, mom" I sighed. I leaned back against the headboard and tried to think of every reason why she would've made her think she had to leave. I went through every scenario, and none of it makes sense.

"We'll find her, Justin. You just have to believe that God is taking care of her." She stood up and kissed my forehead before she left me alone in my room again.

What does Elijah know that I don't? I heard the doorbell ring, and distant voices. I decided to finally get up and go downstairs after being in my room for 4 days straight. After Alfredo told us that he saw her the day she disappeared, i've been cooped up not wanting to do anything, which is why i cancelled the rest of my tour. I made my way down the stairs to find Elijah and Caroline looking like me, in wrinkled sweats and shirt, messy hair and bags under our eyes like we havent slept in months. I nodded for them to follow me to the living room where we could sit and talk. "What's going on?" I questioned and they both looked at each other before Elijah breathed out. "I got a call the other day from Mel's doctor. She put me as an emergency contact." My eyes went wide, I sat up and listened to what he had to say. "At first i was relieved because then that means we know where shes at and that shes okay, but her doctor told me that  I had to talk to her about doing treatment and that it would be the best for her to get better." He started to choke up as he continued. "I knew theres the patient doctor confidentiality, so i played it off like i knew what she was talking about, i got her to open up and she told me she hasnt returned her calls either, that her cancer is back and now it got to her kidneys and she only has 3 months if shes refusing treatment." He started crying and Caroline for the first time since i met her, was quiet. She looked lifeless. "It makes sense now.." I looked over and Alfredo was standing there, shocked with tears in his eyes as well. " What does?" Caroline spoke, her voice was hoarse and cracked.

"When we were talking on the beach the day she left, I told her how Justin misses her, and she told me to tell you that shes sorry, and that you're worth it. She kept on hugging me, and was saying how she loves all of us and how she misses us. She didnt say, ' i missed you' she said ' i miss you' like she knew in that moment she was gonna leave." He breathed out, i felt like i was seconds away from throwing up. She was gonna leave that whole time and didnt think to say goodbye to us? "She was trying to say goodbye but i guess the only way she couldve left without everyone changing her mind was saying it the way she did to me." Things all started clicking, one by one. Everything was starting to make sense. " I called her after her appointment." Caroline held up a tissue to her mouth. "She was sad, and couldn't tell me what was going on." She wailed as Elijah held onto her.

" We have to find her." I cleared my throat as everyone slowly nodded, agreeing with me.  "Where do we even start?" Elijah shook his head in defeat. "She left evrything behind, doesnt answer calls or texts. Turned off her gps on her phone. She doesnt want to be found" He mentioned what we all didnt want to acknowledge. He's right. For all we know, she could be dead right now.

F.uck. She could be gone forever and i never got the chance to tell her that i love her. 

I need to find her.