Chapter 1: There was Light

Prologue:

Run... Keep moving...Don't look back...

She repeated the same mantras over and over again until she was certain it would get stuck. She sprinted fast, racing against the clutches of the advancing shadows, but she still couldn't run fast enough to get away. Her tattered white dress got smothered in the muddy dirt, her bare feet swollen and gashed. Focusing head-on, she avoided the thin obsolete trees.

It was dark. The moonlight was her only source of light in such an isolated place but the night was also when the deep dark shadows are casted. It is when the darkness is at its strongest. The shades created from the larger trees appeared threatening. No eyeballs on sight, but she knew better. They are watching... observing her.

Her sprints became sluggish and her heartbeat became rapid. Saying that she was exhausted was an understatement. But she still ran; determined to get away.

Until when?

Until she would bleed her knees to death?

Until she would get a glimpse of civilization?

But she was trapped... Trapped in the never-ending route of dead woods.

Exactly where they wanted her to be.

She turned right... then left... in a crisscross pattern, hoping she would lose their tracks.

What was she trying to accomplish?

She lost everything that she once had. She was empty, and ragged and beaten and alone. No one would save her from them...because there was no one left. They wanted her to suffer. They saved her for last and they chose this moment to strike: when she is shattered completely; when she is at her weakest; when she lost all her hope.

No...She decided to keep fighting until the end. If she was going down, she's going to die fighting. She would escape, live and move on. Right now, she only has one goal: keep herself alive until morning, when the sun would rise and evaporate the darkness.

Easier said than done.

Out of breath, she managed to come to a halt, hiding behind a bigger tree.

Keep it together...she mentally slapped herself.

She caught sight of a sharp pointed rock and grabbed it securely in her hands. Taking a huge inhale of breath she turned to look behind the dark trees.

Nobody was on sight.

Exhaling anxiety, she leaned on the tree and fell on her knees.

She lost them.

She was safe.