Chapter 7: Suspense and Surprises

Clinging to him for dear life, Cheshire shut her eyes in fright. She felt the drizzle of the cool wind to her skin, but she kept her eyes closed as she tightened her grip on Damien. Her left arm was still gingerly holding the bouquet Damien gave her. He made a quick glance at her and chuckled, " Open your eyes kitten. You're missing the thrill!" he shouted at the midst of the rumble of breeze on her ear. She hesitated to open her eyes for a moment, but ignored her fear otherwise. She opened an eye, not daring to open it full. What did you expect? A bird crashing to your face?... Her inner voice remarked.

She finally complied to his command. Opening her eyes fully, she felt the carefree atmosphere around her. Damien didn't race as fast and impulsive as she thought, much to her liking. Hmmm... It's not that bad after all.

She almost laughed at her cowardly action and thought that she was unbelievably ridiculous. In fact, she liked it. The amazing thrill of it excited her in some way that she decided to set aside all her nervousness and all the negative emotions away. Cheshire almost let out a 'whoop', but managed to control herself. She liked the feel of the cold air on her skin, but she isn't telling Damien that. No way is she gonna let him feel triumphant over it, knowing he was indeed right. Damien sensed the anxiety disappear on her grip on him, as she loosened her arm. He was glad that she was enjoying it.

Much to her surprise, as they were nearing the cross-way, she noticed that he took a left turn instead of the right way to the mansion. She was about to protest to him about it when he glanced at her way and said, " Trust me." And with that simple word, she let him take her where he was planning to go. They drove in silence the entire way and she took in the different sceneries before her. Damien remained silent, not giving her the slightest clue where they were heading off to. Curiosity overtook her and she was dying to know where he was taking her until the motorcycle finally came to an abrupt halt. Cheshire got off the motor seat, brushing off her nest-like messy hair with her dainty fingers as Damien parked his motorcycle securely and took off his helmet. Damien's goofy smile told her that he was enjoying every moment of keeping her in the dark. She gave him a look that reads 'this better be good' and he only laughed at her, earning him a scowl.

"Now that wasn't so bad now, was it?" he asked casually.

"Please don't tell me all that "thrill" you were experiencing went off to your head and you forgot the way to my house and got lost here cause the fuel's all gone,"she started rambling rapidly, followed by an exasperated sigh.

Damien only chuckled at her retort and answered her with a dopey amused grin. "As much as I want to spend my time with you alone, I'm afraid I do have my time limit because of your event."

"So I guess this won't take long?" she asked, hoping to get answers from him, but to her dismay he didn't elaborate further.

"Follow me, princess." he stated, motioning to the eerie dark woods they were facing.

"No," she firmly replied. "Not until you tell me where exactly you are taking me."

"Then I guess I have to carry you by force all the way through." Damien winked at her stubborness.

"Oh please, you're all talk. You can't even drag me there, let alone carry me." she cooed back.

" Are you calling yourself fat kitten? I didn't know being eighteen comes with weight issues. Like seriously, that's even worse than puberty!" he sprightly spat back.

"You. Did. Not. Just. Call. Me. Fat." she stated with that fierce look of hers. " You'll regret it."

"My apologies princess." he stated, not even in the least sorry about what he's said, just by the look on his smug grinning face." Trust me you'll love it. But telling you right here and now will just ruin the surprise. Wouldn't you agree?"