Chapter 16.3

Stranded in the desert, during the full heat of both suns high in the sky, little solace from the heat could be found for Ezara. But she did find one way out. During the hot period of the day the two suns beat them all to the ground, and Ezara slipped from the conscious world and the pain of her body.

In her mind, she walked back across a desert, back to the tower, and across the great chasm. She walked back over a mountain, past a river, a town and another river. Past the old man's hut, down the hill, and along the near shore of the lake. Back up by the next stream, out of the ravine, and back home.

It took so long, and when she got there, she was floating, and the world faded around her. Her lips may have moved in a smile on her body, if they would respond to her, for she had found respite from her pain. For Ezara, everything went numb, and when night came, she could not feel the cold.

As the water splashed against her lips, it began washing away the fog about her world bit by bit. The sensation of the wetness against her lips woke her mind to her body. Her mouth worked to take more water, but beyond that she was helpless. But she heard a familiar voice. The words spoken to her pierced through the fog of the world.

"Ezara, I need you to make it right now. You've shown me something I thought I had lost forever. There's a future for you, for my family. My mother taught me about the locket. Remember your past, look to future. But there was only pain for me looking forward or back. But now there's something else that's not all just pain.

"Your mom and I were both taught this. She was my baby sister. There used to be so many of us. My parents, my sisters and brothers, my wife and my children" he choked on the word. "I thought I lost them all so long ago, but my baby sister made it, didn't she? I didn't know, and I've been scared to feel again. But I need you now. I need your strength. We're going to make it. But I need you to get up and make it."

He crouched over her and brushed his hand against her cheek, hoping she would wake. It was she he first spotted, and without hesitation it was she he tended to first. He had poured out all the thoughts that had built up in his mind on the journey back, but now he took a deep breath and gathered himself.

He soon looked about for the others, finding an unconscious Dara next to a deathly sick Marik. The poor boy's skin was both reddened by the suns and pale in the other spots. He could barely be seen to be breathing, but he fought on.

They were under a bush, crudely augmented with extra sticks and whole entire bushes to try and create more shade. Nearby was a fire that had died out some time ago.

Quickly and gently Bogrel put the water against the boy's lips as he urged him to respond. There wasn't any response, but he had wetted the lips. Turning his attention to Dara, he rolled her over and brushed the long blond and dusty hair from her face before pouring water into her mouth as well. She coughed, woke with a start, and grabbed the waterskin for herself and drank desperately.

She looked at Bogrel. "I made it," he said.

He quickly looked for more children in need of water. Ezrik stirred when given water as well, but beyond that, the children barely showed they were alive. He persisted in his efforts, and was soon joined by Dara, who gave most of her attention once again to Marik.

It was the last of the daylight that they watered the children, and by the time night had come, most of the children were now somewhat conscious and recuperating. But Marik still did not stir. Bogrel came to Dara's side.

"He still hasn't really moved," she said.

He didn't respond for a moment. "Offer your breast," he said, and she looked at him strangely.

"I don't have any milk, I just got these," she said covering her breasts.

"It's the boy's instinct. He's still young, he'll still have the instinct strong. It could wake him for a drink."

She looked at him, and he met his stare, and left a moment later. He turned away and stood facing Ezara, standing somewhat straight and determined. Her head leaned slightly to the only side that had hair, and the bandaged side was displayed prominently. But from beneath the bandages green eyes filled with the strength of iron.

"Uncle Bo," she said hoarsely, "I'm going to make it."

Bogrel smiled. But he soon hid it and went back to helping as he could.

It took her some time, but eventually Dara came around to trying her breast, as discreetly as she could. Putting her breast to the boy's mouth caused an explosion of feeling in her mind - the pure sensation, embarrassment, concern - but she pushed through her own mind's distractions to give it a fair try.

Growing tired of the position, she was about to give up, when she felt the small tongue against her nipple. Excited, she found new strength to hold her position, and she looked down at the boy's serene face with a smile. Now the lips moved, and she could feel some strength behind the suckling.

As craftily as she could, she replaced her breast for the water. He drank, and she cried.