Chapter 21.2

The rain had mostly dissipated by late afternoon, and Bogrel was having a hard time sitting still. He sat on the front patio, observing the view, worrying about Ezara. He had heard her leaving in the morning, which she often did, but he had heard the weapons in her clothing, even if she thought she was being stealthy about it. Sharp ears for that sort of noise had saved him more than once.

The day had passed slowly for him. The kids had played inside, pretending to be different characters from Unkarran tales, as they hid from the rain. As usual, Dara busied herself with the cooking and chores, but managed to spend some time with Bogrel as he sat and watched.

"You are worried about her," Dara stated. Bogrel's silence affirmed it. "Do you really think she's going to do something so rash?" another silence conveyed his hope that he was worried for nothing. She ran out of things to say, but had learned to share silence with Bogrel. She had found the comfort in it; there was no need to try and impress, no fear of saying the wrong thing. She attempted to fuss about his cut, but he dismissed the attention in favour of his solitary brooding.

His fears were confirmed when he spied the approaching group of men heading towards their house.

"Dara," he called. "Bring my sword."

She came out to see him first, quickly abandoning her chore. Her face was stern, and she locked eyes with Bogrel. "What's happening?" she asked.

"My sword!" he repeated, grimacing as he rose to his feet, hand to his bandaged side.

Dara disappeared back inside, reappeared with the sword, but held it close to her, tip to the ground. Bogrel held out his hand for it, but she kept it.

"Have you forgotten? This is my sword. I will hold it until we know that we need it."

He started at her with fire in his eyes, which died down upon meeting the icy determination in her own striking blue eyes. They stood side by side, waiting for the approaching group, keeping the kids inside. The two of them recognized Matias as he approached. He forced Ezara forward with one arm, and in the other he held a dagger. Men flanked him on either side in two columns.

The sight of Ezara bound and gagged with rope, bloodied and muddy, caused Bogrel to tense and reach for the sword, but Dara stood fast. She kept her expression unreadable - to most - but Bogrel could see the quiet fury behind it.

Matias stopped a distance away from them; close enough to talk but too far for a fight. The men fanned out beside him, each of them holding their swords at the ready. Matias brought Ezara close to her and raised his dagger to her throat for effect.

"Hello once again - Bo, is it?" Matias began once the movement had settled. "I've come to you with a new proposal, one you simply can't refuse." with each of the last few words he tapped Ezara with the dagger. "I suppose I can respect that wouldn't want to depart on such a journey with all these children I hear that you watch over. However, I simply must reach Geberra. You can take me. You will take me."

"Let her go," Bogrel said with venom.

"No, that's not how this is going to go," Matias answered. "She murdered one of my men, and whatever else happens, she must answer for that. Besides, I know already that I can't trust you Geberran demons. No, I will hold her. But you could improve her situation by cooperating."

Bogrel's hand was still outstretched for his sword, but Dara still held it firm, point down, both hands around the hilt that came up to her waist.

"Look at that," Matias continued, shifting his gaze to Dara and the sword. "Magnificent. She truly is a thing of beauty. Simple, but elegant." Dara glared at him, but he turned his head to the men beside him. "Can you imagine each of you owning such a weapon?"