Chapter 35.2

The first men to have fled the battle ran all the way down the hill until they hit one of the small bluffs they had climbed on the way, and became lost for direction. The massive towers of the gate were obfuscated by the trees.

Just over a dozen panicked men arrived at the spot and stopped, each of them lookin both downward and behind them in rapid succession. Brian's arrived with the next men, and assumed command. There were three of the swordsmen from his unit, the rest were Unkarran boatmen pressed into battle.

"Hold, men," he said, catching his breath, and staring back up the hill. Still the only men to come from that direction were Unkarrans' no pursuit from the Geberrans seemed forthcoming.

Many of the men barely regarded Brian's request, continuing to scramble to find their way down and continue their retreat. Brian's grimaced as he tried to assess the situation.

"We were betrayed," he said loudly, capturing the attention of all the men around him. "Bogrel set us up for a slaughter. I am glad you men escaped. He is loyal to Geberra and must answer for his crimes." There was a rather loud agreement from the gathered men.

"I need you two to come with me, and I will find him and ensure he faces Unkarran justice," he said, pointing to two of his swordsmen.

"[swordsman]," he declared, pointing at the third. "Find the route back. We seem to be on the wrong side of the hill. We must head over there," he said, pointing back to the darker woods.

Everyone nodded and split. Brian's and his two men returned to the battlefield cautiously, slipping frequently as they climbed up the slick and muddied hillside. The lack of battle noises was conspicuous.

As they crested the hill, they came right upon Bogrel and his procession of wounded. Brian quickly motioned to his men, as he greeted the Geberran warrior. "Bogrel, thank the hidden ones, you survived."

Bogrel met this comment with a near-sinister grimace. "We need help," he replied.

Brian's face was transformed as he saw Petro's missing arm and all the other manner of injuries. Brian went behind Bogrel, as if to assist another man, but was plunging a knife into Bogrel's back the next moment.

With a cry, Bogrel dropped to the ground, taking Petro with him. Shouts arose from all about; Bogrel writhed on the ground. Three swords were drawn - Briand and his men formed a circle.

"What are you doing?" Cried one of Brian's own men, among the wounded. "He saved us, won the battle for us!"

"But not for Unkarra! He has always been one of them!" Brian counter at the group at large. "This gate will belong to Unkarra alone!"

"No!" Cried Petro from Brian's feet, surprising him with a kick to the back of the knee, causing him to fall clumsily. The other two men were engaged by the whole group, their swords knocked away and the three of them pinned to the ground.

Bogrel was slowly regaining his feet, gasping oddly and clutching his body, the situation now reversed in his favour. "What madness is this?" Ending the question with a wet cough and a groan.

"Matias - we - are done dealing with Geberrans! This is our expedition and our outpost!"

"Cursed nonsense! You kept the gate!" He coughed again. "You dragged me out on this expedition. What has he done with the girls?" He demanded, but Briand had no answer. Bogrel spat to his side and raised an arm as he stood, trying to stay focused and rally the crowd. "We need to get back," he stated, something that was easily agreed upon.

They arrived at the gate a ragged group, trickling in by twos or threes into the clearing near the Fort. Much of camp was here, before the Fort, and this is where the first of them stopped, gathering water and making other preparations for the wounded.