Epilogue 1

Spring camp had become a veritable city, immensely swollen with crowds of eager entrepreneurs and sellswords. Though Bogrel had stayed at the Gate for another week after to recover, he eventually met with Rollo and Petro in the bustling hub.

The expedition was in shambles for [company] and they were struggling to maintain control of their trade route, much less account for all the local hires and mercenaries Matias had enlisted. Those who wished it escaped any further obligation, but were leaving rather empty handed.

The investigation of Matias' death was only just beginning amidst the chaos, and Bogrel and group escaped any real authority. They took on work with another trading company to get home, opting to avoid any notice from [company]. Altogether ten of them banded together for the trip back to their homes in Marpport. Two others among them nursed injuries besides Petro and Bogrel, so the group took a forgiving pace.

The waterways were far more established than they had left them on their expedition to Geberra. There were outposts popping up all along the way, as people were back and forth and there were hundreds of campsites around them. The mystery of the lost land of Geberra and its riches were enough to bring many folk looking to find their opportunity. Word of the bloodshed found was spreading less quickly.

They passed by the gold mine, which was now the busiest place on the route. [company] had built here first, and there was an active guard presence. The group passed by without incident, but not without forlorn looks at the place of riches, once in their grasp, but now overtaken.

It wasn't much further along when Bogrel called them to a stop.

Petro realized first, "This is that spot you had told us to remember, isn't it?" He asked. "But you never said why. What's so special about this spot?"

Bogrel smiled. "This is where we had to drop all our extra gold when we first discovered Unkarra. They were the big pieces, that two particularly eager boys tried to carry out. There was a pile, near the stream bank, but back then the water was much lower. The pile is probably somewhere right below us." He said, sitting in the small Unkarran boat, in the shallows of the river.

The mad scramble was on, as the young men abandoned their boats, shirts and shoes and dove into the water. It looked like they were playing around, with the excitement that they swam around. Bogrel watched it all with an amused smile.

They made their discovery, and yelled and screamed for an unexpected treasure, that felt excessively deserved. It was not a fortune, but there looked to be enough to Sprite between the then of them, and it looked to be more than any of them had hoped to earn when signing on with [company].

They resumed their journey with renewed vigour, making their way to the village in just a few more short days.

There Bogrel found Julio, who was very excited to once again meet his once wayward friend. The news of Dara's death was saddening for the entire village, all of whom remembered the startling blonde beauty that had appeared out of the desert.

From there Julio offered them every comfort and assistance, once again helping Bogrel exchange some of his gold ore.

In Marpport, Ezrik had risen to every challenge presented, and thrived. He learned the business of trading from local sympathizers. Though [company] had honoured the allowance at the start, this was soon neglected. Sarah was instrumental in watching the younger children, though left alone, they matured quickly, and even headstrong Damar became an indispensable help. Together, Ezrik, Sarah, Damar and even Michelle banded together to take care of Reyelle, Garik and ever-growing Marik.

When Bogrel returned, there was both celebration, and mourning at his arrival, and the news he bore. There was little left for anyone to do but move forward, and come to know Bogrel's new compatriots.

Ezrik was quick to get to know them, and knew exactly how to make best use of the newfound gold. Thus was the birth of Ezrik's own trading company, one that would prosper under his keen mind and his knowledge of the newly discovered Geberran market.

He took that gold and turned it into much more, providing the opportunity the young Unkarrans were looking for. The children had all that they needed, and Bogrel was there for them from then on. He devoted himself to their upbringing, relieving Ezrik and Sarah of the responsibility, who were soon to marry and pursue their own family.

They would await the day Ezara would return.