november 12th

river skipped school for the third time this week. he decided to help martha decorate her home for her birthday party that night. the entire day they decorated, baked cakes and cleaned the house. then the party started. people started to flood into Martha's home. her parents went out for the night so they didn't have to deal with all of the kids.

river took martha upstairs to give her, her birthday present. she was surprised and excited about the gorgeous necklace. and then river was dragged to the ground. martha screamed as river was pushed down the stairs. river hit the bottom of the stairs with a large thud and a painful sigh. he looked up the stairs to see who pushed him down,"donny?" donny ran down the stairs and dragged river by the ankles outside. martha followed close behind repeating,"donny, stop! he didn't do anything to you!"

river stood up with his back aching and remarked,"what're you doing, donny? don't you like sammy fullet?" donny snarled and punched river across the face. river held his face while martha screamed and tried to break the two friends apart from fighting until river hit back,"I love her. you just abused her. she didn't want you." donny's eyes narrowed,"you banged her, that doesn't mean she loves you." martha interrupted,"I do love him, donny. I may have only known him for a few days but I think I really do love him." Donny hit river again and left the party. martha ran over to river. he was bleeding out of his nose and his eye was already swelling.

the party ended and martha sat at the dining room table, bandaging river up. river removed his shirt so Martha could see his back damage and she could see bruises forming. "you can't go home tonight, you can't let your mother see you like this, it would break her sweet heart." river nodded,"you're right. can I stay here?" martha smiled,"of course."

martha and river got into bed. river was the big spoon and martha was the small spoon. a terrible night, became a good one.