november 28th

it started as a good morning. river got a B+ on his math test and he thoroughly got to talk to sean because donny was absent.

the school day ended, river stayed after school for his music lessons. martha watched and listened to him play some beautiful pieces on the piano and great chords on the guitar, river's favorite instruments.

river took martha home with him, hoping that his music school acceptance letter came in. and it did. martha tried to stop him from ripping it open but it was too late,"I got in, mar! I got in!" martha stared at river with tears forming in her eyes. river ran over to Martha to see what was wrong but she pushed him away,"babe, are you okay?" river said sympathetically. "river, I'm pregnant." martha started to cry hysterically. river stood in shock, it was like the whole world suddenly turned to slow motion as the realization struck him. he was going to become an eighteen year old father.

"Jesus Christ, mar. I'm so sorry." river hugged her tight,"I'll be here every step of the way. I can promise you that." martha stopped him from saying more,"I want you to go to college, sweetheart. that's why I'm letting you go." martha couldn't help herself from crying more and river had to think,"what are you doing, martha?" martha lowered her head,"I can't be with you anymore." river raised his voice a bit,"why martha? I love you. I need you. you need me to help with this baby. that baby is now my responsibility, martha, don't you see?"

martha left the house.
that was the last time river saw her until he came back from college four years later.