Chapter 16

I am barely listening to Mrs Escott’s last-minute pep-talk since my head is swimming. Who does Sam love? Could there be anyone else? What will Elisha do? 

“Melody? Are you listening?” Mrs Escott clicks her fingers in front of my face, causing me to snap out of my daydream. 

“Uh, sorry…” I apologise quickly. She gives an exasperated sigh. 

“I said remember all the stage directions I gave you and I want to see lots of chemistry between you and Sam. Really sell it to them!” she breathes. My cheeks flush and I glance at Sam who is just looking straight ahead. Then my heart lurches as I see the curtains parting. “Places, everyone!” Mrs Escott hisses. I take deep breaths. My first appearance is in the third scene: that gives me plenty of time to go over the lines and calm myself down. I watch as the Jets, led by Ricky playing Riff, dance the prologue against the Sharks led by Elliott as Bernardo. I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder and look round to see Cassie and Sienna smiling back at me. 

“Aww you look beautiful!” Cassie whispers. 

“Are you feeling ok?” Sienna asks, “You look sort of... shaken. Has something happened?” I make sure no one is listening before telling them about the dressing room incident. 

“Well, I went to see Sam and he told me that I was talented and beautiful then Elisha came and wanted to get back together with him so I hid in a wardrobe but Sam rejected her to her face and said that he was in love with someone else so she threatened to ruin my life and then the curtain call came. So yeah, I’m kinda shaken,” I finish. There is a moment of stunned silence before Cassie speaks. 

“So, Sam loves you then?” she asks smiling. 

“I don’t want to get my hopes up. You know what happened the last time,” I admit. 

“But think about it,” Sienna explains, “He just told you that he thinks you’re talented and beautiful and he has been dropping a few hints recently. Why not you?” When she puts it that way…

“Hey, break a leg,” says a voice behind me. I turn around to see Sam right there. I pray to God that he didn’t hear me. 

“Um, thanks. You too,” I reply, watching my two best friends casually sidle away. 

“You have nothing to be scared about. You’re going to be absolutely incredible out there,” he tells me, flashing me his signature smile. I have to admit that I now feel a hundred times better. “I’ll see you out there. I’ve got that scene with Ricky next. You’re going to be amazing.” And with that he rushes off to the other wing ready for his scene. 

I stand in the wings and watch as the Jets and Sharks scene ends and Sam and Ricky do their scene. Sam is a perfect Tony - he just looks so natural and relaxed onstage and when he sings ‘Something’s Coming’ it sounds flawless. Towards the end of the song, I hear someone approach. 

“Good luck out there, Pointer,” someone says. “Don’t want to get any more blood on that pretty dress of yours.” There is only one person who calls me ‘Pointer’ and she is the only person who would threaten me with pins. I’m too nervous to even think about Elisha so I just ignore her and keep reciting my lines in my head. 

“Oh, giving me the silent treatment, are we?” she mocks. “That’s not going to save you. I’m never going to give up on ruining you.” 

Then the scene ends and, with those words haunting me, I walk onstage in darkness and set up the chairs and tables for my scene. I shakily move to centre stage where I have been told to start and wait for the lights to go up, my heart pounding louder and louder. Then I feel the warmth of the stage lights on my face and realise that I am in my element. No one - not even Elisha - is going to rain on my parade (Funny Girl reference intended).