A pain-laced memory

"What... what happened to your voice?" Melissa asked. Her eyes didn't blink and she fixed her gaze only on him.

   Greyson stopped singing and pressing the keys once he heard the voice. He turned around to see Melissa standing awkwardly at the doorframe.

   "What are you doing in here? How did you–oh shit. I forgot to lock the door." Greyson muttered under his breath. "Go back to your sleep. It's late."

   "You didn't answer my question. What happened to your voice? Did you purposely make it sound like that? Why did it sound–"

   "Stop it already!" Greyson snapped. "Go back to the room. Please."

   Instead of listening to Greyson, Melissa stepped in and sat on the medium sized couch, Greyson's favourite spot to rest his body on.

   "Just go back to your room, Mel. Please leave me alone."

   "No wonder you always spend most of your times inside this room. Your life is in here." Melissa looked around the room and nodded like she was surveying a house to rent, completely ignoring Greyson's order. Greyson stayed silent in his seat.

   "So, are you gonna answer my questions or nah?" Melissa raised an eyebrow.

   Greyson was debating whether to tell Melissa about his voice loss. It was a sensitive topic to him so nobody ever mentioned anything related to music to him ever since he recovered from the surgery. It took him two years to accept the fact that he had lost his singing voice. To be honest, he couldn't and didn't want to accept it so he had this faith that one day his singing voice would be back by miracle. That explained why he never stopped making music although nobody listened.

   "Why are you awake?" Greyson tried to change the topic.

   "I was thirsty. I woke up and saw you weren't there so I walked to the kitchen and stopped in front of this room. I decided to check what's inside because I was curious." Melissa shrugged. "Do you usually stay up this late to write?"

"Only when I can't sleep. Sometimes insomnia hits me hard."

"And what's keeping you awake tonight?"

Greyson didn't answer that. He looked at Melissa who patiently waited for his answer. "Let's start it all over again."

"Huh?"

"What happened throughout this marriage, let's just put it in the past. Let's start a new chapter, a new life. I'll try to be a good husband to you. It's time for us to accept the fact that this is our fate."

   Melissa looked down to the floor. While staring at the ground she spoke, "It's not as easy as it sounds." She looked up to meet with Greyson's gaze that was already on her. "I made this because of my Dad. I never thought I would be a wife at this age, let alone be a mother. I was never ready for any of that but, Dad is the only family I have. I want to make him happy because... because I didn't have the chance to do it to my Mom. I did but, I never thought she would leave so soon." She confessed and broke down.

   Greyson walked to the couch and took a seat beside Melissa. He was never good at consoling but he tried to calm her down anyway. Greyson wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her towards him. At time like this words won't work so a hug was all that needed.

   "Why... why did you do it?" Melissa stood up from the couch and looked down at Greyson.

   "What do you mean?"