Scene 1 Act 1

{Mallie}

I sat in Home Economics as I watched the second hand on the clock tick and tick until it hit the twelve and the sweet sound of the bell echoed throughout the corridors of the school.

I sat up, grabbing my binder and my book (The Welcome to Night Vale novel, of course) and walked out of the classroom into one of the school's many crowded hallways.

I was so excited for the end of the day, as today was our first meeting with the school's drama club for the year. I couldn't wait to see what plays we were going to be performing this year.

I mean, I don't act myself, but I help with the costumes and set design with one of my best friends, Dan, who is female. She is often told that she looks too much like a guy, and that she should change her look. However, Dan is the most girly person I have ever met. We work together making and fitting clothes, and being very dramatic (in a good way) when something looks bad.

Dan and I's other friend, Lana, is an actor. She is very talented at staying in character, so much so that sometimes it's hard for her to act like herself. Not that that's bad or anything, it's just very interesting to watch her submerse herself completely into the story.

I've known Lana and Dan since sixth grade, ever since we were in a small school production together. This was also when I learned that I was such a bad actor, which is why I joined the stage crew rather than staying as an actor.

As I walked to my locker, I saw Dan and Lana slowly approaching me as they talked to each other about something.

"Hey guys," I said as I finally got to my locker, starting to spin the dial to open it up.

"Hey, how was Home Ec?" Lana asked me as I started packing my stuff up, putting my novel and a History textbook into my backpack.

"The usual, kind of boring," I replied, shutting my locked and putting my backpack over my shoulders.

"Well, you are not going to BELIEVE what I saw today! Trinity was wearing the ugliest looking cardigan ever! It had this weird prism pattern with the most tacky colors that I have ever seen!" Dan exclaimed as we started to walk down the hallway and toward the auditorium, where the first theater meeting was being held.

Dan continued to tell us about the wardrobe malfunctions she say today until we reached the auditorium.

It was a huge room, with velvet seats and lights hanging from the ceiling to the large stage and the sound booth, this room felt just like home to us.

We walked down the isle and sat down in the very front row, where everybody else was currently sitting. Not all of the kids from last year showed up, either because they quit or they are just running late.

We all sat next to each other, with Dan sitting in the middle.

"I wonder what we will be performing this year," Lana said, sounding very eager to know.

"Me too! I can't wait to help design and fit the costumes again! This is the only reason that I like school," Dan said. I laughed.

"So true though," Lana said as she pulled a granola bar out of her backpack and peeled away the wrapper to start snacking. Lana always seemed hungry.

Dan and I started talking to each other when I saw somebody walk out on stage. The other kids in the room started clapping, and the three of us joined to see Damian walk out on stage, the drama program's student president.

There is a few teachers that help out with the drama program, but they school likes to see students taking action and speaking for their mind, so we have a student president for very club and organization.