The Part With The New Inmate

It wasn't a cold night but Julian's knuckles were white and his fingertips felt like ice. He took silent but deep breaths as he awaited at the gate for the van to arrive. The van that happened to imprison the most wanted criminal in London.

Julian didn't know much about the criminal. Caucasian. Late twenties. Mass murderer... Charged on five accounts of murder and even treason, he had only recently been caught and arrested without trial. He was deemed evil by societal standards and sent to the prison within closest proximity, of highest security and whom perform public executions.

The unnerving part was the criminal wouldn't be chained. He wouldn't have his own cell to remain in for the rest of days. The prison followed a system to treat the inmates as equals despite the level of their crimes. This monster would share a cell and would be free to roam the prison and courtyard like anyone else. He could make alliances or worse, make enemies. Julian scoffed at the idea of this prison having 'highest security', it was basically a respite for the evil.

Dolly was yapping on about her personal life whilst Julian tried to warm his fingertips. She always did this when she was nervous. She had dealt with murderers before but this one seemed to be effecting every guard in the prison, even someone as tough as her.

"Will you talk to him?"

Julian pulled his hands away from his mouth which had been blowing hot air to caress the surface. He frowned at her.

"What do you mean?"

"You're the person they all talk to" She shrugged.

Julian believed in the notion that people could change. Previously in the year he filed to become a counsellor for the inmates. He envisioned changing someone's life for the better. He envisioned turning the scum into outstanding citizens. If he couldn't make them great, at least he could give them a form of relief. He complained the prison was too respite-like but really he was the one who turned it into one. However, with this specific criminal that was about to roll up to their doorstep, he would not dare try to convert him. He would have to talk to him but he would not talk to him the way he talked to the others. This man was pure evil. He did not deserve a respite and he did not deserve a peace of mind.

"No"

The van came into view with its blinding lights prominent a little ways down the road. Julian stood still. They both watched on as the van crept closer and closer to them. It came to a halt and the passenger stepped out, awkwardly making his way over to the two guards.

"Which one of you is the boss around here?" He casually remarked.

His colloquialism made Julian uncomfortable but he informed him of his superiority. The man handed him documents.

"I'll grab him for you now"

The man then turned his back to shuffle to the back of the van to initiate the transfer. Julian sighed, having a quick peek through the documents as Dolly prepared herself to escort the criminal into the prison.

He returned with the orange-jumpsuit wearing mass murderer. His hands and feet both bound which made him slower. His jet black hair covered his face so cheekily he flicked it back with an intimidating smile. Julian looked into his eyes and a sense of recognition washed over him. He became pale as if he had seen a ghost. The man passed the criminal over to Dolly who thanked him before he hopped back in the van to be driven away.

Julian was still in awe and it clearly was showing.

"Hey, you, c'mere" The prisoner urged, that smile still playing about his face.

Dolly held him tightly as Julian cautiously stepped over. The prisoner gestured for Julian to lean in so he could whisper. He obliged and tried to ignore the goosebumps.

"Boo"

The prisoner chortled which resulted in Dolly being harsher and shoving him to start walking into the gates. As she walked the path with the dreaded man, Julian still couldn't move.

He returned his eyes to the documents and he opened the first folder to find the prisoner's name.

Noel Fielding.

His face, his name, it was all too familiar but Julian couldn't figure it out at all. He didn't know this man but it felt like he did or maybe his subconscious was telling him to get to know this man. All Julian knew was that he couldn't stop thinking about Noel Fielding's eyes.