Chapter 2: Look Alive, Sunshine

Ivy said she knew where she was going, and God, I hope she did. We were currently in Zone 5, and it was the middle of the night, and it was dangerous.

"We need to find a place - its not safe at night. Too many dracs." Ivy suggested.

Driving a little more, we found a small shack; one that couldn't even fit a person in, but it was better than nothing.

"Hey, over there." I point out to Ivy.

"Thank god, both of us are almost out of fuel." She complained.

Arriving at the door, it was even smaller in person.

I knocked on the door, and both of us waited for a bit to see if anyone was in there. It looked like it was going to fall down in your sleep. The outside was made out of mostly wood, and the roof was tin.

As I opened the door, it smelt like a corpse was rotting for years in it. The place only had one moldy mattress in the corner of the room, with a kitchen on the opposite end. A small door lead to a tiny bathroom with just a sink, toilet, and a shower.

Ivy let out a sigh. "Well, it's better than nothing right?"

"Yup. Let's try to find some blankets or something to cover that mattress." I say, a little grossed out.

We checked the only closet, and there was one moth-eaten pink fuzzy blanket; that looked like it homed many bugs.

"It works. I guess." I ask, unsure of myself.

Ivy agreed, "Yeah, come on, we need sleep."

We lay the blanket on the mattress, and collapsed into it.

"Night, Harleen."

"Night, Pamela.

| Time Skip to the Morning|

The sun leaked through the windows and right into my eyes. I saw that Ivy was still asleep, so I got up, trying not to wake her. I walked over to the small kitchen, my bare feet hitting the split hardwood. I search the cabinets, and I found it; coffee. Don't get me started on how much I love coffee. It's not just a drink, it's a life style. When I was living in Better Living Industries, they didn't have any.

I have no idea if the electricity worked, but it was worth a shot. I plug the coffee maker chord into the outlet, and turned it on, and what happened? Nothing.

"I see you're trying to get the electricity running." Ivy croaked, probably still asleep.

I let out a sigh. "Yeah, not much luck."

She went by her bag and pulled out two cans of Power Pup.

I grimaced. "Get that dog shit away from me!"

She then threw it at me. "Fine, if you pass out or die on the floor in the middle of the Zones, just remember, I'm not carrying you home." She also slid the can opener over to me.

I opened the sad dog crap and got a spoon. Thinking I've been eating this for years, I'd get used to it. No way. It's pretty gross, I've eaten grosser things I don't want to say. I just shoved it in my mouth.

"Once we're done, we have to take you to see Dr. D." Ivy said.

"Wait- who's Dr. D?" I asked, confused.

She basically dropped her spoon on the floor. "You don't know who Dr. Death Defying is?"

"No, I never really was working to find the Killjoys." I explain.

Her face softened. "Oh okay, he's basically one of the leaders of the Killjoy nation. I guess you can say he's in charge of the ranks."

I nodded. "Ah, and what are ranks?"