Chapter 5 - The Speed of Sound

Chapter Five

The Speed of Sound

“Stupid Ms. Watson, with her stupid rules, in her stupid classroom and her stupid punishment!” Sophie mumbled with anger as she and Charlotte walked through the crowded corridors of their high school.

“Well, you were text messaging during her class,” Charlotte answered with her usual calm and reasonable tone.

“Not the point here,” Sophie said stubbornly, “Please, forget about everything you deem as right and wrong and back me up here for three seconds.”

“What you did was wrong,” but as soon as she looked at Sophie’s face she immediately said, “though I guess she could’ve been a little more lenient.”

“There you go.”

“After all, her presentation on The Long Term Change in Nutrient Cycles of the World’s Forests was severely lacking, both in material and in interest.”

“Exactly! It’s practically her fault I wasn’t paying attention.”

“And she should’ve realized by now that yellow is not her color.”

“Yellow is no one’s color.”

“True.” Charlotte smiled, waving her beautifully straight and long dark-red hair away from her face. “You were talking to that guy again, weren’t you?”

“Adrian?” Sophie asked, to which Charlotte nodded, “Yup.”

“Don’t you think that thing you’ve got going on is… weird?”

“Yes, I do,” she quickly replied, barely avoiding a group of giggling freshman girls.

“I mean, you talk to him everyday.”

“More than once.”

“And you tell him everything.”

“Almost everything.”

“He’s a complete stranger!” Charlotte said, more vehemently, “It’s dangerous and a little disturbing.”

“You’re overreacting.” Sophie tried to shake away her friend’s worries as if they were nothing, while reassuring herself that she was right. And somewhat failing. “That is so out of character for you. Besides, nowadays is perfectly normal to talk to people through-”

“You don’t know him. What keeps you talking to him like this?”

“I do know him. More or less. I guess...”

“I think this has to do with your inherent fear of loneliness. Would you be talking to him if you hadn’t dumped Mark?”

Trying not to feel insulted by her friend’s remarks of her loserness, Sophie decided to concentrate on the other subject Charlotte brought up. “So you do think I dumped Mark?”

“After some consideration, yes, I have concluded that you did dump him.”

“I’m proud of myself.”

“You should be,” Charlotte continued, “now, if you would just control this strange obsession you have for that guy’s voice, I would consider being proud of you too.”

“Stop worrying. I’m not obsessed.”

“You talk to a stranger everyday.”

“He’s not a stranger. Not anymore.”

Charlotte locked her shiny brown eyes on her friend, giving her an unconvinced look.

“You just don’t get it, Charlotte.”