Chapter 8 - The Physics of Sound

Chapter Eight

The Physics of Sound

Aaron dropped her off at home and went on to meet his band mates, no doubt to show them all the cool music he had found at the obscure music store. Sophie wasn’t really feeling like staying home, so she planned to send a message to Charlotte to meet her later and tell her all about what happened - though she should probably wear a helmet, because her friend would be furious to know she went to meet Adrian without her and, worst of all, had spent a delightful time with Mark.

First, she decided she should call Adrian and apologize for ignoring him for so long. She was nervous when she put her phone next to her ear and, once she heard his voice on the other side, she couldn’t really tell if she felt better or worse.

“Finally, Murphy.” She felt him smile and, immediately, she could see him in her mind, his attractive smile and light eyes… It was weird to finally be able to see him so clearly. “Busy morning, huh? I’ve been trying to talk to you for ages.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. It was chaotic.” He had no idea.

“Is everything alright, though? You sound... I don’t know, weird.”

“Everything is fine.”

“Hmm…” He didn’t believe her, but decided to change the subject, “by the way, we won the match today.”

“Great. Congratulations. I’m happy for you.” She tried to put as many excitement on her voice as she could, like it was news to her.

“You know, I was kinda hoping you would end up showing up there,” he said, “I really thought you would. I guess you’re still mad at me, huh?”

“No, I’m not mad at you,” she quickly answered. Then, after a quick internal battle, she decided to come clean with him. “I was there.”

Adrian was silent for a moment. “You were there?”

“Yes.”

“You actually, physically, went to the game?”

“Uh-huh.”

“You saw me?”

“Yes.”

“And… I didn’t see you because…?”

It was hard for her to tell if he was upset or not. She figured he probably was and she couldn’t blame him. Sophie took a deep breath.

“Because… I was a coward. Because… I’m stupid?”

Because you’re so ridiculously handsome. Because your girlfriend is so ridiculously beautiful?

“No shit.” Again, she couldn’t tell if he was joking or not.

“Are you angry?”

“I think I should be a little, don’t you? I mean, I don’t see how this is fair.”

“I know, I’m sorry.”

“What the hell, Murphy?” He didn’t seem angry, he seemed more disappointed. “Why won’t you let me see you?” She wanted to tell him, but she honestly felt too embarrassed to do so. At the lack of her answer, he continued, after a big sigh, “What am I going to do with you?” He seemed more relaxed now. “You owe me!”

“I do.” She smiled.

“So, what do you think?” She could tell he was joking now. “Pretty damn hot, huh?”

Sophie blushed and laughed but at the back of her mind she couldn’t help but feel a little bit guilty. After all, that was one of the stupid reasons that made her unwilling to go to him at first. He must’ve felt it, because he immediately asked again in a serious tone, “Why wouldn’t you come to meet me, Sophie?”