Chapter 2 - The Perception of Sound

Chapter Two

The Perception of Sound

She dialed Mark’s number and let his cell phone ring. Nothing. Hanging up at the sound of his voicemail message, she tried to call him again. Still nothing, more voicemail. Getting frustrated, she decided to try one last time. As she was about to hang up and give up on Mark for the day, he finally answered the phone.

“Hey, babe!”

“Hi, Mark,” her answer was not as enthusiastic though. She frowned a little as soon as she heard all the loud music and screaming voices that were surrounding him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

He had finally memorized her schedule! Too bad it was useless now.

“I got fired.”

“Oh, sorry love.”

“Where are you, by the way?”

“I’m at Fred’s.”

“You didn’t tell me you were going to a party...” In fact, he hadn’t told her anything at all the whole day.

“It’s no big deal, we’re just hanging out. I’ll be out of here early.”

“Mark, I had an awful day and I’m feeling kind of down. Can you get out of there just for a few minutes? I really need to talk.”

“Oh… Sophie, why don’t you call Charlotte then, huh?”

“Because I’d like to talk to you, my boyfriend.” She frowned again as she heard him laugh with someone on the other end of the line.

“Sophie, this is not the best time for me,” he told her, “can’t we talk tomorrow?”

“But I don't feel like being alone,” she pleaded, “couldn’t you just come and meet me here? We’ll go somewhere, just the two of us. I can't remember the last time we did something on our own."

“Oh, come on babe, I’m here now. You’re not going to be one of those girls, are you?”

What did that even mean?

“Ok… then, can I go there, instead? I could use a distraction and I really need some fun.”

“Uh… I don’t know...”

“Why?”

“It’s not really my house or party.”

“I’m sure Fred won’t mind.”

“Don’t you think that’s kind of rude, though?”

“Well, why don’t you ask him, then?” She was getting seriously frustrated now. Could he be less interested in being with her?

Before he could answer though, she could hear a feminine voice on the other side, yelling in his ear, “Who is it, Mark?” She felt him covering up the phone, in a vain attempt for her not to hear the answer. “It’s no one, babe, don’t worry. I’ll be right back.”

No one?

“Listen, Sophie,” he said, getting back to her, “I really can’t talk right now, I’ll call you tomorrow.“

“No one, Mark? Really? No one?” Her frustration got quickly replaced by anger. “So that’s what I am, I’m no one to you?”

“What? Babe, I-”

“I mean, it’s not like I hadn’t noticed before, by the lack of interest you show for me and the lack of concern and the lack of attention and, basically, the lack of a relationship,” she struggled to keep her voice under control, “I guess I already knew that I was “no one” to you, but it’s interesting to finally hear you say it.”