8

Sweet rays of welcomed warmth shined through, making dust particles dance in the light. The girl's internal clock forced her to stir once more, as it's a new day. She freed herself from the embrace of her oversized teddy bear snuggled closely next to her and got out of bed.

"I thought you were in your chair?" She mumbled, turning her head to glance at her fuzzy friend.

"Jenny! Come downstairs!" Her mother called, a hint of sadness hidden in her tone.

"Coming!" The girl joyfully responded. She grabbed the heavy winter blanket and pulled it over her bear, pecking him on his brown nose prior to dashing off.

-
"So what else happened?"

"I don't want to really get into that mess-"

"And risk the stress of bottling it up? Come on. Talk to me."

"Well..."

-
"Sit on the couch. Put your cereal down." Mother directed. Her eyes were puffy and a shade darker than usual. She was constantly walking about or moving or grabbing her other arm.

"What's wrong, mommy?"

"Well, you know I love you, right?"

"Yes?"

"And your father, well, he does too."

"What's wrong?"

"You're going to spend some time with him."

"Okay?" After hearing the news, the girl resumed eating her marshmallow and chocolate cereal. After one bite, she dropped her spoon in the bowl. "When? For how long? Will I still see you?"

"Next weekend. A little while and I don't know."