CHAPTER FIVE

It's morning now; sunshine shines on my face. Father is in the passenger seat, beside, Commander Blue in the front. They are so interested in their conversation; they don't even notice I'm awake.

When I look out the window, my face opens a little in awe.

Camp One looks like an airport. Planes fly overhead, hovercrafts drop off other kids by the load. Soldiers, dressed in crimson red and royal blue, load heavy artillery onto semi-trucks. The huge steel gates-when we come upon them, open up for us automatically, expecting our arrival. I take a deep breath. This is going to be the place where I'll live for a while. After that, go into battle, fighting for my country. Camp One could probably be my death place.

"So, here we are, Miss June," Commander Blue says, pulling into a parking space for the elite officials. "The head administration has moved the Registration Center. It's past the soldier cabins, east of the cadet cabins, and west of the Training Center."

"Thank you, Commander," Father says, then turns to me. "What do you say, June?"

"Thank you, I really appreciate it." I reply to Commander Blue.

Once Father and Blue have gotten my luggage out the jeep, Blue wave's good-bye to him, gets back in his car, then leaves.

"Hey, Father..."

"Hmm, sweetheart?" My father's eyes are no longer the steely cold like they were yesterday. They're warm and welcoming.

I'm so scared to ask the question, I don't even notice when I ask. "Do you think I'll die?"

He stops walking and puts a hand on my shoulder. The hesitating silence he gives me has me panicking even more deep inside. "You're strong, you can do it. I passed, so there's no reason why you can't."

I say nothing more after that.

At the Registration Center, people crowd the room. I'll be the first one because of my rank. I'm not saying that out of arrogance, I'm saying this because it happens all the time. I get the respect. I just wish I could've gotten a bit more respect back at school. Still, it doesn't matter. That was in the past. The time to make changes is now.

The lady sitting in the desk gives me a judging look, her black eyes looking me up and down. Despite her fair skin and blonde hair, it makes her look dead. The dirty look she gives me explains why. But then she notices my father, and her disdainful look turns into smile that makes me scowl. "Hello, your name, please?" the lady asks.

"June Castor," I reply.

The lady with the fair skin nods, types my name into her computer, then pulls out a red slip. She fills it out with a stamp-presser then hands it to me, eyes twinkling at my father. "Here you go, Miss June." She turns to my father. "Hello, Mr. Castor, it's a pleasure to have your daughter attend Camp One!"

"Thank you, we'll be going now." He's pulling my arm towards the door.

"I'm at House Five, Father." I say, looking at the red slip the lady gave me, while we walk to the cabins that house Cadets and Soldiers.

Nodding, he says, "I had that house when I was your age, sweetheart. You'll love it."

We head to the house where I'll live, its sides glass, and its silhouette spreading across my face. Other future-soldiers head in, waving their loved-ones a goodbye before they head into House Five, the place they may learn to call home.

Before my father lets me even take a single step up towards it, he turns me around, his eyes stern, his face solemn. "June," he says.

"Yes, Father?" I reply.

"Be careful out here, June, it's a lot more dangerous than you think." He pauses then hands me a small box. "Don't open this box until you've gotten out of here, okay?" Now he seems like a different person. Like, he could kill someone. It scares me.

I nod, and reply, "Yes, Father." I get the feeling to salute, and as I do, he returns my gesture, and walks off into the distance. "I love you." I whisper, though he cannot hear me. But as if sensing my words, he mouths the words back to me, then winks in my direction. I catch it, and before I can even look up, he's gone.

I remember every word he said, and I take it in.