CHAPTER TWELVE JACOB

"Alright, soldiers, the track is twelve miles long. I expect you all to make it before sundown. If not," I tell the cadets. "Then you should all expect to be on the track of going Home."

I look at everyone's reaction. It's what I approve of. They all have determined looks on their face now. Especially, her.

She's small, but that's what makes her breathtaking. To be so small, and yet so strong. Even small ones can do the greatest of damage, but she still makes me swoon.

I continue, "When you are halfway through the track, there will be a mountain. I am warning you that here will be obstacles there to stop you. The best way to get pass it, is to get through the mountain before noon."

I call out the instruments to stop the cadets: Dummies, but I don't think that's what they really are. In fact, it sets me on edge that the dummies look too human. It's almost like they are.

All I can hope is that they don't get to her. I've had to wrestle a dummy before for Officer Training, and it just about killed me.

For anyone, really, I hope they can escape it.

It's wrong to say this, but June's the only one I care about. They are watching her. By watching her, I mean the Lab Division. If she passes high on her Training, they her to be their next Experiment Soldier. (The Lab Division thinks this as lucky.) They will take her to the Lab, examine her run through trials of speed and calculation, and then they will see how they can experiment on her to make a better Soldier for the NONR. If she fails, she will no doubt be discarded-The only way a First Daughter is legally be allowed to be sent Home.

When I release the cadets, they all head for the hill. I watch June jog along with them, but careful to keep her distance.