CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

We have stopped station and I get out. Commander Blue picks me up while the driver goes in to fuel the car.

"I'm not a child." I spit.

"Yeah, well, you act like one, so close your mouth." he counters.

I mumble before I do what I'm told. I look around and guess that it's already twelve in the afternoon. Cars whir past us, some with solar power, and others with gas. We're still in the North prison, and there are moving signs everywhere. Some say let the South stay in the colonies and serve us.

My stomach growls, and I get the realization that I'm hungry. "Blue... I'm hungry." I whine, trying my best to coax him to get me food by hinting that I'll fall out of his arm. I don't mention. For he probably wouldn't care less.

"You're going to have to wait." he says.

"No, I'm starving!" I demand.

He gives me an irritated look and stands me up. Commander Blues leads me back into the limo and opens a tiny cabinet with food. I choose a frozen plate of sausage and pancakes, afterwards, he sticks the plate into the microwave. It heats quickly and I take it out. The plate burns my hand and I drop it. Commander Blue catches it before it comes to the ground.

"Hurry up and eat." Blue growls.

"I don't have a fork." I shrug.

He sighs and snatches one out of the compartment. I take it from him and eat my food in silence. I'm about halfway down when I look at him. "Why are you guys helping me? I know I'm in this limo and not in prison for a reason." I say.

Commander Blue says, "You're here because I know Jacob hypnotized you, and that's why you believe the North is bad. We're bringing you back so we can help you."

I chuckle under my breath.

He chuckles back, a glaring smile all over his face.

Eating the rest of my food, I shove the empty plate in his face. He grabs and throws it outside in the trash. "Get out." he bellows.

"Why? The driver should be done already, shouldn't he?" I smirk.

"Yes, but, do as I say." he demands.

I wait for a while, and he picks me up again. Septimus walks over and I look away. "What?" I say, my voice hard.

"Nothing." he answers, turning to Commander Blue.

My unstable sanity fades away, allowing myself to come back into reality. When the driver is done, we get back into the car and go.

+ + +

We are in the parking lot for the airport that is supposed to transport me back to the North.

"Get out of the car, June." Septimus tells me, opening the door for me.

That's when I make a break for it.

I ram my elbow into his nose, then make a run for the stairs to get back to the first level of the parking lot.

I hear the gunshot against the railing, and against my every protest, my body stiffens up.

"I really shouldn't let you go, June." Septimus points a gun at my head. "I could shoot you dead, June. Mom and Dad would never know."

My heart begins to beat as I stare straight into those cold green eyes of my little brother. The little brother who hugged me, pleading to me that I don't go to Camp One. I don't know how many months ago that was. Four. Six. A year ago? Now it's like we're sworn enemies. There is no love between us now. None at all.