Chapter 1

The HitchHiker

                By Carol Lynn Duckett

Chapter 1       

    It was 3:45 AM. My best friends Jaden, Haile, and myself, Carol, we're on a road trip from Oregon, to L.A California. It was really foggy out, and I could barely see anything as I was driving. But, I could see a 7 /11 on my side of the road. But in the distance, I could also see someone walking by the gas station. I pulled over, to see if I could offer a ride. As I pulled over, we all stared out the window at what looked like a half-eaten person. (She) was torn up almost completely. Her clothes were ripped, and her face was pale. She had what looked like bite marks on her cheeks. And she was almost impossible to look at.

“Umm…guys, I think we should call the police.” I said to my friends.

“Yeah, good idea.” said Jaden.

 As I heard Haile dial the three digits in her phone, I tried to talk to the lady.
“Hello? My name is Carol, this is Jaden and Haile. We are going to call-” she cut me off.

“HISSS...Haaaghhh!” The girl hissed and swung her arms out at me as if trying to grab me.

“Jaden?”I stumbled backward and fell onto the ground.

Haile dropped her phone and lifted me off the ground. “We need to get out of here” Jaden said. We ran back into the car and I locked the doors.  Jaden, on my right sitting in the passenger seat fastened her seatbelt and I drove off.

“Oh my god..” I said.

“What was her issue?” Haile said in fear.

“She looked terrible! And she hissed at you Carol!” Jaden cried.

“I know! Maybe she wasn’t in the need for help..” I replied.

        It was already 4:25 AM and we were all exhausted. The thought of that girl's face wouldn't go away. And I'm sure my girls couldn't stop thinking about her either. It was terrifying. All this awkward silence was driving me crazy, so i decided to turn on the radio. Nothing but staticky stations. Until I got to station 4. A man's voice filled the car and he was saying,

“...virus outbreak. Please stay indoors, shut your Windows, and lock your doors! There is a deadly virus spreading through L.A California. If not home, and walking outside, find somewhere safe. This is absolutely insane!” he sounded so scared and serious. “The people are getting bit, eaten even!” A woman’s voice then said. “That’s right Sal. Men, women, and children are being eaten and bitten by each other, and it seems that this is what is causing the spread! Again, lock your doors, and stay out of sight, because the “Living Dead” are out to kill.” I stared out the windshield. My mind was racing. I felt my stomach turn into a knot. I felt the bile rising in my throat. I was afraid to stop driving.

“We are going to die..” Haile said.

“No we are NOT!” I shouted.

“Well Carol, we have no choice but to turn around and head back to Oregon.” Jaden said.

“ Yes I know you two. But i don’t know how much longer i can keep at driving. Look at the time for crying out loud, it’s 4:30 in the morning.” I said.

“Well, I was the only one who decided to drink coffee earlier, and I’m not tired. I could keep us all moving.” Halie told me.

“Okay. But I’m going to need to pull over.”

        I woke up in a daze and in pain. My head was spinning and bleeding. My girls were up front!

“*cough cough* JADEN! HAILE!” I screamed. I tried to sit up, but my pain was unbearable. Those Things were outside the car…

“Jaden? Haile? Come one guys wake up.”

“C..Carol?” Haile managed to mutter.

“ HAILE! What the heck happened!? We crashed? What did you do!? Are you okay?” I shouted.

“Ahh..heeegh! Blaaahh…”

About ten of the living dead were surrounding the beat up car, moaning and groaning. They were banging at the car, scratching, trying to get in and eat us.

“Is Jaden okay up there? Get the two of you back here.” I ordered Haile.

“Carol? Ha..Haile?” Jaden groaned.

“Jaden! Are you okay? Come on get back here those things are out there!” I said.

I could see she was bleeding from her head and her arm. Haile was bleeding from her leg and hands.

“What happened you guys?? All i remember was falling asleep in the back, and i woke up and I'm in pain, and seeing this! Now those people..er..”walkers” are surrounding my car!” I bursted out into tears.

        “I was driving, and one of them was in the middle of the road and i hit it on accident, and I lost control of the car and crashed into this wall Carol! I'm sorry.” Haile had tears and sweat running down her face.

“Watch out guys I’m coming back there.” Jaden warned. I helped her back here, and she stumbled into the middle seat.

“What are we going to do? This isn't happening. It can't be.” Haile said.

“I'm so sorry you guys.” she said.

“I don't blame you Haile. It wasn't your fault. That walker was in the way. Wasn't your fault.” I reassured her.

        “I'm going to see if I can get the car to start.” I said.

I knew that it was going to be impossible, but it was the only choice we had, and it was worth a shot.

“vroom...vroom..chuga chuga chuga chooooo!! VROOM” I GOT IT!

“COME ON GIRLS PUT ON YOUR SEAT BELTS! WE ARE GETTING OUT OF HERE.” I said in excitement.

Jaden moved back up front. I drove away from the wall and looked at the Walkers. They were moved off the sides of my car, and i took off.

“No matter what you guys, I'm going to make sure that none of us gets hurt again.” I said.

“Same here” the girls said in unison.  

        Off to Oregon…we had 5 more hours to go to get to L.A..our 8 hour drive awaits again...