Five

To say the trip here was pleasant would be a complete lie. Even though Simon drove a van, we all ended up squished. Like my whole side was crushed against the side door.

When we stopped I got out, raised my arms up, looked up at the sky, and sang, "Freedom!" I heard Alec chuckle behind me.

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy. Not at all,"  Simon said sarcastically.

Izzy chuckled. "Don't tell me you're afraid."

He scoffed. "Are you kidding? I was born afraid...which sounded a lot better in my head."

"Let's check it out," Alec said as he started walking.

Izzy and I followed. Clary was about to walk but Jace pulled her back. "Wait here. I wanna see if it's safe."

She nodded her head. Jace, Izzy, Alec, and I walked a few feet away before Alec spoke. "Hey. If something goes wrong...if something happens to her, that's on us. You know that, don't you?"

Jace nodded. "Yeah. And you know what exactly what'd happen if Valentine gets the Cup before we do. She's lost everything, Alec." Jace looked at me. "We know exactly what that feels like." He looked back at Alec. "And what's your problem with her, anyway? Your family always use to welcome strays."

Alec glanced at me before looking back at Jace. "You and Sammy were never strays."

"The point is, nothing's changed. We're in this fight together, there's just...one more of us."

"Well, since Simon is part of this now, two," I pointed out. Izzy chuckled at my comment while Jace and Alec send me an annoyed look. "Annnnnnd...I ruin the moment."

Jace called Clary. "Clary. Come on, it's all clear. Let's go."

Clary soon joined us and we made our way to the City of Bones.

》》》》

Jace walked a bit further away with Clary to explain who the Silent Brothers are, what they can do. What's going to happen when they reach inside. So that left Alec, Izzy, and I to walk in the back with Simon.

When we reached the entrance, we were greeted by a skeleton on the door. Clary doubted herself for a second. "I can't do this."

Simon - being a good friend - supported her. "Yeah, you can. You're Clary freakin' Fray. You can do everything."

Simon tried to go in, but I held him back. "Woah, woah, woah. You can't go in there."

"Surprise, surprise. No mundanes allowed! Just like in the training room, right? Wrong! I've seen every horror movie and the funny best friend who gets left behind...dead man."

Izzy started laughing while Jace stated, "You're not funny."

I gave an amused sigh. "That's debatable, big brother." I looked back at Simon. "He was joking about the training room, but he's being serious now. The moment you step in there, you're dead."

Simon looked at Jace. "Problem is, now I don't trust you."

"They're not lying," Alec said.

"Like I said...he was before," I added.

Alec explained further. "The rune energy in the City of Bones will kill any mundane who dares to enter, so, please..." he gestured Simon to go inside.

Simon finally came to his senses and walked towards us. Izzy smiled. "The Brothers creep me out. I'll mind the mundane."

"You're sacrifice is noted, Izzy," Jace said sarcastically before making his way towards the entrance.