Chapter Ten

Aspenfrost's emerald eyes darted around, narrowed to tiny slits. His paws were kneading the ground anxiously. Yet another storm of grief and sorrow ripped through him, tearing the hole in his heart even larger. Iriskit. She never should have died.

It's all the twolegs' fault!

Majority of the cats seemed to agree with him, for signs were plastered all over the place; on windows, walls, fences—all with the same content: DOWN WTH THE TWOLEGS! Some even had a dead twoleg lying underneath them, mutilated way beyond recognition. No cat was protesting against declaring war with twolegs. A fierce cry for bloodshed prevailed.

Aspenfrost was standing at his window, watching a group of Igid cats that were roaming the city with a bloodthirsty glimmer in their eyes. Sharpened claws glistened in the sunlight, raining fear upon the twolegs; every single window's blinds were closed. The tabby warrior wondered where kittypets would stand; by their housefolk, or with their own kind? Either way meant betrayal, at least for them.

And yet again Iriskit's corpse flashed across his mind. His own flesh and blood, lying on the pavement, a harsh bullet shot penetrated through her head, right down to the skull. Nothing could wash the horrifying image out of his head. He'd been getting nightmares night after night since the incident. There was nothing he'd wanted more than see Melonsong's familiar face, her sweet voice telling him that everything was going to be fine.

But even she couldn't see him. Aspenfrost unsheathed his claws and swiped them down the wall, leaving long, deep marks marring the surface. Loss and grief had put him out of action, and Aspenfrost found himself lounging in his house, observing the catastrophic events unfold before his very window.

***

After a recent meeting was discussed, regarding the strategy they'd use for attacking the twolegs, a blaze appeared in his eyes. The Landong cat had heard that a group of Viloci cats had assaulted a lone twoleg in the forest, completely shedding him apart. Aspenfrost's nostrils flared.

If only killing others could bring back lives.

Then, he'd gladly shed apart the entire twoleg population, just for Iriskit.

Written by Saph! 🍩✨ Sorry for the short chapter.