Chapter Nineteen

"Aspenfrost! Aspenfrost, wait!" The dark brown tabby turned around, flattening his ears.

"What?" He snapped, before catching sight of Melonsong. "What are you doing here, Melongsong?" He asked incredulously, eyes widening.

"Someone said that you were leaving in the direction of the twolegs. I came to stop you. You can't go out on your own, you can't go solo. It's too dangerous. You'd really throw everything away?" Her eyes gazed at him, imploring him to reconsider, to stop this madness.

"I have to do this." He growled. "They killed Iriskit, and many others. I will take them out on my own." Aspenfrost added.

"No! You need to save your strength, conserve it for the main battle. You're a strong warrior, Aspenfrost, if you go out, solo, you might not come back alive. Would you really do that- to me? To our surviving kit?" Her voice cracked, worry clouding her eyes. "Please, just listen!"

"I-I could still die in the main battle. But if I go solo-"

"No!" She interrupted. "We are stronger together. Your life would be wasted if you went on your own. Stop being so stupid and think!" The dilute tortoiseshell looked up at him, her eyes pleading silently.

"I- I'm sorry. You're right. To go on my own, it's - foolish." Aspenfrost looked down at his paws, ashamed.

"Come," Melonsong mewed. "I know where we can go."

~•~•~•~•~•~•

Iriskit's grave. His only daughter, the tiny grey tabby she-cat was gone from the world too soon. Her body now lay in the ground, buried under the soil. Her body was cold, empty of light and warmth. She was dead, and she would never grow up. She would be forever young, and she would never wake again. She would never see the sunrise again, she would never become an adult. Sadness gripped Aspenfrost like Iron as he leaned on Melonsong. Iriskit was their kit, their daughter. They owed it to her, he owed it to her, to avenge her. Those monsters, they'd been the cause of her death. The twolegs had killed a tiny, innocent kit. She'd done no harm, she hadn't greatness anyone- but still they had killed one. The deep pit of sadness and despair was gaping wide inside Aspenfrost's heart.

"I vow, I promise, that I will kill at least one twoleg before the battle ends. I will avenge our kit, and I will punish the monsters, the beasts that had the audacity to kill an innocent kit. I will avenge Iriskit, even if I die while doing so. But I will go into that battle, and I will swear to you Melonsong and I swear on Iriskit's grave that there will be justice for her. And I will, I swear that I will kill at least one twoleg in the battle to come." Aspenfrost mewed, his eyes darkening. Soon the battle would commence, and the killing would start. And soon, justice would finally be served.

Olivia