Chapter Twenty Two - Battle Has Begun

I'm currently reading "Wild Born" again because I needed to check on something. Though i'm almost forgetting to write in here because I want to keep reading.

- - -

Hope's POV

They all followed Xanthe as she led them through the tunnels. Hope was worried sick for the others, especially Zoron. She was not used to not being far from him. What she felt for Zoron was beyond just like as friends. She...she couldn't imagine a life without him being in it. I know, so cliche but it's true.

But that's not the only reason why she was worried. The feeling of knowing something terrible was going to happen. The feeling she had always had before that bad thing happens. She was feeling it but this time, it was much stronger than before. Too strong perhaps that it left her in fear.

Just then, Xanthe and Haley immediately froze. Takoda who was walking right behind Xanthe almost bumped into her. They all looked at them confused.

"Do you hear that?" Xanthe whispered, her eyes giving way to fear.

They all stood their, holding their breaths as they silently listened. Then Hope heard it, the sound of water. Hope had heard of that familiar sound whenever she was near rivers, the sound of rushing water. The sound seemed to be growing stronger by the minute.

"What's that?" Meilin asked, alarmed.

"That's, uh, the thing we were about to find out," Haley replied, nervously.

"We don't usually go to the Evertree when it's nearing rain season," Xanthe explained quickly, her gaze darting everywhere, "Because when that happens, the Sulfur Sea rises higher because of the water dripping down from tunnels above ground. And that may lead to tunnels...uh, flooding."

"And when you hear that, it's either run or die," Haley added.

They didn't need to be told twice as they bolted right after Xanthe, leading them away from the water. But as they ran faster, Hope could hear the water coming closer.

- - -

Riley's POV

Everyone stood in a defensive line on the beach as they waited for Zerif and the ship full of the Wyrm's slaves. Gerald and Lenori were with the Evertree right now as they tried to solve the riddle while the rest prepared to defend the tree with their life. Though as they stood there, Riley knew that they were badly outnumbered. It wouldn't take long before Zerif's army would advance further.

The ship finally stopped and people started jumping off and swimming for the shore. Once they reached land, they stopped unexpectedly. A specific man rode a small rowboat instead of jumping off and was slowly making its way towards them. Riley scowled and she could feel similar reactions around the group.

"Ah, looks like I haven't gotten all of the Greencloaks yet," Zerif commented and gave a wicked grin at Eric who growled, "Don't worry, nothing too terrible happened to Ella. In fact, she's liking the freedom much more than being stuck in a huge fortress filled with green cloaks."

Rile could tell that Eric was having a hard time by not running at him and shredding him to pieces.

"You were a great fighter," Zerif went on, "I'm almost glad that the traitor saved you because you're very much welcome to join my ranks right now."

She knew that by traitor, Zerif meant Derek who saved Eric's life from Zerif, only to die in the process.

"I'm so glad that the traitor you're talking about saved me too," Eric growled, "because after this is all finish, I would be more than glad to see you finally die!"

Zerif gave a dark chuckle, "After this is finish, you wouldn't even be alive to see me dead. Now, enough with this talk. Let's finally move to the fun part of this."

That's when bright flashes of light came and the Great Beasts started appearing one by one. Arax, Rumfuss, Gerathon, Suka, Dinesh, Haliwir, Tellun, and Uraza. Riley's gaze immediately snapped to Abeke's whose expression was a mixture of grief and anger.

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way," Zerif spoke, "Give me the rest of the Great Beasts, the Staff of Cycles and the Talisman of Ursala and I might be able to spare you for now."

Jef scoffed, "As if we would."

Zerif grinned coldly, "I was hoping you would say that. Attack!"

The infected surged forward while the rest stayed, standing on their ground bravely. Riley gripped her sword harder and all of a sudden, she found herself in the middle of the battle. Already, a Greencloak man with monkey swung his battle axe at her. She quickly ducked and rolled away and was about to try and attack when another tackled her from behind. She could spot her Spirit Animal, Nada, trying to defend herself from the monkey and a coyote. She glanced at the others and noticed with a pang that they were already losing.

Just when Riley was just about to give up, there was another shout and suddenly, the two Greencloaks she had bee fighting were tackled by soldiers. Familiar looking soldiers.

She spun around and gasped, "The Zhongese army. Father!"

She spotted her father who had sliced one of the infected's arm as he made his way towards her.

"How did you-"

"You warned us about the Wyrm, remember?" His father quickly explained, "We were also sent a message by a man named Adoni."

"Adoni?" Riley exclaimed, remembering the man they had met in the Hundred Isles. He was the one who had the Staff of Cycles and had led them to their first quest.

"I had a vision something like this would happen when I still had the Staff of Cycles," Riley jumped at the voice, turned and found the man himself which seemed a little weird.

How did he do that?

"Thank you," the words barely left her mouth when Adoni quickly ran off to fight off another infected.

Just then, she saw more soldiers breaking through the bushes and landing theirselves into the fray. This time, it wasn't Zhongese armor but it took a couple of seconds for Riley to recognize them. They were the Lord of Gaundor's soldiers, Gerald's soldiers.

He must've sent a message to go to the Evertree and defend. I mean, he is a Dream Bringer, Riley thought.

More people dove into the war and Riley's eyes widened as she saw Niloan warriors launching themselves into battle. Perhaps Lenori had managed to get some help from Nilo, since the Evertree is in Nilo.

Riley managed to duck in time as a huge, swinging axe came. She faces a huge, burly man with an orangutan already fighting Nada. The man swung his ace again bur before Riley could dodge or block, someone else had blocked his attack and had shove him away roughly. She turned and froze to see who had just saved her.

Ivan's mouth twisted into a wicked grin, "If anyone gets to hurt you, it's me and only me."

- - -

We are so close to the end guys! So close to the end of "The Ten Keepers" series!!! Need I remind you to read the title of this book before you start calling me...(mean).

Please vote and leave a comment on what you guys think. Stay tuned for the next chapter!