Chapter Thirty-Six// Unfortunate Date

+++

"Being attacked by a psychopath is not bonding."

--Maggie Duval

+++

After Psych today, I ran to catch up with Noah. He was on the phone. "--Um... anyway, not stalker-y, but just, you know, given the recent events, maybe you could call, text, uh, bat signal, so I know you're okay?" I smiled at his awkwardness as I followed him. "Okay... um." Noah hung up the phone. I took that as my opportunity. "Noah." I said. He turned around. "Oh, hey, Arielle!" Noah smiled at me, but I knew there was something wrong behind that smile. "Noah... something's happening? What is it?" I smiled up at him. "It's just... Zoë ." He replied, sighing. "Yeah, she wasn't in Psych. Where--?"

"I don't know. She hasn't called or texted me back." Just like clock work, Noah's phone chimed. And he smiled down at it. "Oh, it's all good." Noah said. I raised an eyebrow as he looked up again. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, she's gonna meet me at our place-" Noah stopped and looked at me in fear. I paused also. "Yo--your place?" I whispered shakily. "Uhm, Arielle--I... you know its a really cool place, it doesn't--'Cause I know you love that spot--"

"Wren Lake." I said. It wasn't a question. I knew it. "Let me guess... you guys have picnics there, just like we used to?" I stepped closer to Noah, pursing my lips, fighting the urge to freak out.

"Uhm

"Uhm... Arielle, I'm sorry." Noah scratched the back of his neck. "It's okay, Noah. You've moved on." I whispered. "Arielle, you can't be mad at me. It's what you told me to do!" Noah argued. "I didn't think you'd..." I cut myself off. "I'm sorry--"

"Don't apologize anymore." I sighed. "Are you okay? Did something happen?" Noah stepped closer. I flared my nostrils, and clenched my fists. "I am not like you, Noah." I said. "I can't move on from someone I loved like you did. I just can't." I told him sternly.

"Arielle

"Arielle." Noah whispered. "Noah." I mocked him. "I think--"

"No. Just go. Zoë 's waiting for you." I faked a smile, but I swear to you, I was screaming on the inside. Maybe it was the fact that Noah replaced me. Maybe it was the fact that our place--me and Noah's place was now... Noah and Zoë 's spot. My smile must've been convincing because Noah grinned back. "Are you sure you're okay?" Noah asked sincerely. "Yeah. You'd better go."