chapter 45

Copyright (C) akm

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Forty-Five

Surprise

Usually when I woke up in the morning, I had the kind of "don't talk to me" attitude.  But this morning was different.

            I eagerly got up and took a shower, rinsing away the sleepiness in my body.  I changed into a cute outfit, rechecking the fit of the skinny jeans and smoothing out the top.  I brushed my hair and dried it a little more before heading downstairs to make myself pancakes.  I couldn't help myself from eating a few before the rest were done, and I scolded myself for being so impatient.  From sixteen years of experience, I knew the exact amount of syrup to pour per pancake and drenched my plate in sugary goodness.  I was proud of myself for being so productive this early. 

            After I rinsed the dishes, I hiked back upstairs and did all those little essentials in the bathroom.  I checked the time and grabbed my bag and phone, heading downstairs.  As soon as I opened the door, the thought finally hit me.  But it was too late.

            "What the hell are you doing here, I told you to stay away from my girlfriend!"

            "She's my best friend, I always drive her to school!"

            "Well not anymore asshole, she hates you.  Have you forgotten how you treated her like shit and left her for another?"

            "Shut the hell up!"

            They both looked up at me and took a step away from each other, then one towards me.  Nathan gave an awkward smile, Dylan was emotionless.  I bit my lip and slowly approached them, running a hand through my hair.  I was barely in arm length before Dylan reached out and pulled me to him, locking our lips immediately and right in front of Nathan.  He sighed and looked away, rolling his eyes as he did so.  I pushed Dylan away.

            He gave Nathan a smirk and grabbed my hand.  I looked helplessly at my best friend and didn't know what to do.  I mouthed a sorry and he just shook his head and gave me a small smile.  Right before Dylan slid in his side, he made sure to give his brother the finger and drove off like a maniac.  I could only imagine how pissed Nathan probably was and I closed my eyes, hoping it would end up being okay. 

            Dylan took his time getting to school, but was completely emotionless the entire way.  I was trying to read him, but he was no open book.  He was more like a special diary—locked, secure, and almost impossible to get to.  I bit my lip and ran a hand through my hair, not knowing what to do or how today was going to be.  When we finally arrived after the longest fifteen minutes of my life, he grabbed my hand aggressively and pulled me to the spot by the wall.  Now I could definitely read him.

            "What the hell, Pam?" he spit at me. 

            Here it comes.

            "I told you to stay away from that little asshole, what does he mean you're his best friend?  I thought you ended that thing when he decided to treat your heart like a trash bag.  What the hell is going through your mind?  He's just going to try to take you from me and hurt you even more.  I don't want to see you hurt, Pam.  Stay away from Nathan."

            I sighed, feeling completely invaded and controlled.  How did I ever think this was going to work?  I can't just have both of them in my life?  There weren't many things I was sure of, but I had to say the one thing I did know.