chapter 41

Copyright (c) akm

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Forty-One:

Just Beachy

After breakfast, I slugged upstairs and fell back onto my bed.  What was I going to do?  It was a Saturday and I had no one to hang out with.  They'd all just be asking about Nathan and I really didn't feel like crying, let alone in front of other people.  

            A tear escaped my eye anyway and I sighed.  My phone rang, but I hit ignore when I saw his name.  He tried three more times, but he finally got the hint after that.  I didn't even bother checking the voicemails; I just deleted them.

            I had to at least get out of the house, otherwise he'd be over in a minute trying to throw one of his excuses at me.  I could drive my dad's car to the mall or something, but I had a feeling he had his own errands to do and Rachel was in hers probably right now.  I couldn't even go to the park because he'd go there too.

            My phone chimed, signaling a text.  I was ready to just delete it but I noticed it was Dylan, not Nathan. 

            "Hey, you got any plans today?"

            I couldn't even explain how glad I was to have an escape that didn't want to hear about Nathan.  I replied with an obvious no, and a few moments later he said to meet him outside my house in ten.  We were going to the beach.

            I debated whether or not to wear my bathing suit, but I didn't really want to get in the water or tan.  I just wanted to get away.  Whatever, I thought, tossing on some jean shorts and a tank.  I put my phone, wallet and keys into a purse and walked out.  Dylan was parked in my driveway in his car, and I easily slid into the passenger seat.  I was surprised he'd gotten another car so quick, but his parents didn't want him without one because of work and school.  It was just a normal car, used and nothing amazing about it.  It could get him from here to there, and that was good enough for them.

            "Hey, how you feeling?" he greeted with a smile. 

            "I'm okay," I answered, deleting two texts from Nathan and looking back to Dylan with a smile.

            "Alright, beach here we come!"

            He pulled out and I clicked on my seatbelt, sighing into my seat.  Dylan turned on the radio and drove with one hand, the other outside the window holding onto the top.  It was different driving in Dylan's car.  I hadn't really ever gone anywhere with Dylan.  I pressed the button for the window, feeling the wind whip my hair everywhere.  I didn't care how it'd end up looking, the cool air just felt good in my face.

            I heard Dylan chuckle and stuck my tongue out at him. 

            "You're so cute, Pam," he said. 

            I rolled my eyes and continued being a dog.  We stopped at a gas station on the way and I wandered to the back fridges.  An Arnold Palmer sounded good, so I grabbed one off the shelf and headed for the counter.  Of course, I walked down the candy aisle, so I had to get a bag of M&Ms too.  Dylan was filling up his extra-large cup of slurpee and I almost laughed.  Right when I stepped up to the counter, Dylan put his stuff with mine and grinned as he handed the cashier the money before I could even protest.  I stuck out my tongue as he smirked, handing me the bag. 

            "I had money, you know," I told him as we got into the car.

            He shrugged.  "It was my treat.  Don't worry about it."