chapter 46

Copyright (c) akm

__________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Forty-Six

The Restaurant

When most girls have trouble figuring out what to wear for a date, they probably worry they don't have enough time or the right outfit.  I just so happened to be that type of girl. 

            I didn't intend on taking a nap, but math homework really sucked and it was so boring that I just kind of died.  I rolled over to take a break and woke up an hour later in a panic. 

            Dylan hadn't been very specific with his instructions or gave me any hints.  I didn't know his definition of fancy and it was driving me insane.  I tried on all the dresses I had in my closet, but I had so much doubt in every one.  Even with my skirts nothing seemed right.  When this happened—all five occasions in my life—I just settled with whatever or found something immediately.  But I'd taken forty five minutes just prying open my closet and searching every drawer and crack in my room. 

            I groaned, falling back on my bed.  I heard a knock on my door and someone stepped in, a deep voice asking, "you all right in here Pam?"

            "I'm having a wardrobe crisis, leave me to die," I answered, closing my eyes.  He chuckled.

            "Where are you going tonight?"

            "I don't know.  Dylan just wants to take me out somewhere 'fancy'."

            "What kind of fancy?"

            I sat up and pointed at him, giving him a frustrated look.  "Exactly."

            He thought for a moment and then backed away with a sheepish smile.  I threw my pillow at him for his help.

            Although I'd already gone through just about every article of clothing possible in my room, I decided to just recheck and reevaluate.  I was running out of time and patience.  I remembered there were a few outfits I would have considered and I pulled each one out.  My annoyance and pressure honestly made me feel like I was taking the SAT. 

            I thought whatever, just pick something.  I changed and stared at myself in the mirror for a good fifteen minutes.  It was a tight black dress, mostly plain with a fancy one-shouldered strap.  I liked the way it fit on me but I wasn't sure what to do.  I applied some make-up just because I could and the bottles of mascara and eyeliner pencils looked so unused.  I put my hair up in a special bun and then put it down again.  I didn't want to go for the sophisticated lawyer look.  I was debating what else I could do when I heard a knock downstairs.  Suddenly I began to panic and I rushed to get my stuff in a purse and grabbed my shoes.

I checked myself one last time in the mirror and sprinted out my door to the top of the staircase where I saw the UPS man standing at the doorway with a confused look.  I gave him a sheepish grin and backed away, covering my face with my hand and feeling ridiculous.  I was overreacting way too much. 

"What are you all fancy for?"

I glanced over at Christie who was climbing up the stairs with a package.  She was giving me a really weird look, but I could say the same.  It was an odd, slender-shaped box.  I didn't bother to ask.

"I have a date with Dylan," I replied. 

"Oh, well you look really hot."

"Thanks," I laughed.  She entered her room and closed the door, weirdly checking to make sure no one else was coming.  Then I heard it lock.