~ Sweet Escape ~

Chapter Three

Elena's POV

Elena takes one more glance at the bench that she had previously occupied with Rebekah. Rebekuh has already disappeared. Elena can't stop smiling. She is going to get away from Mystic Falls. At the back of her mind she is worried about what everyone will think, but at the front of her mind, she doesn't care. She knows they are all better off without her. She brought vampires to Mystic Falls. It wasn't intentional, but it was still her fault. If she leaves, they will have no reason to stay. Elena can't beleive it. She is running, with Rebekah. An original who, at first, hated her guts.
'
We find friendship in the darkest of places.' Elena thinks to her self as she dances with Damon. She is barely conscious of his prescense in the room. Elena couldn't help herself when she was talking to Rebekah. Things kept spilling out of her mouth. Truths that she wouldn't dare tell anyone else. The blonde was like a siren, calling out any secrets that Elena had. Elena felt vulnerable, but safe. She had more in common with Rebekuh than she thought.
"You're all smiles tonight."Damon says as he watches some invisible object in the distance.
"I am having a good night." Elena says as she stares at the staircase, waiting for the toast to finally come.
"I don't think Stefan appreciates you dancing with me." Damon says and Elena glances towards where Stefan has been brooding.
"No. I don't think he does." Elena says with a laugh, "Sometimes I think you like dancing with me because how depressed he gets."
"Maybe you are right." Damon says as one of his eyebrows jump and a side smile pops up on his face.
"He must have done something horrible. You sure do dislike him." Elena says with a sigh.
"I like to toture him, but I don't hate him." Damon says with a smerk.
"Why? He gets so jealous, he looks like a gorilla who found extreme hold gel." Elena says as she watches Stefan. He is leaning against the wall, looking as if he had some bad fish. Damon laughs at the near exact description before saying, "It is a long, boring story."
"So. You don't actually want me, you just want to upset him?" Elena asks with an amused smile.
"I didn't at first, but now, I kind of do." Damon says with a shrug.
"Don't. It will only end in heartbreak." She says with a huff of breath. She is tired of talking with Damon now, when are they going to toast, it is seriously taking forever. Maybe that is just her excitement talking.
"You should probably stop smiling so much, Stefan looks as if he is about to have an anurism." Damon whispers into Elena's ear.
"Let him." Elena says with a shrug.
"Someone is feeling feisty..." Damon says as his eyebrows pop.
"It's rare, but it happens." Elena says sarcastially.
"Maybe Stefan has seen this side of you, but not me. Is this what they call a happy Elena?" Damon asks with a bit of a chuckle.
"Well. I guess, it is." Elena says as she finally looks Damon in the eyes. He just gives her a curious look. A look that says, 'What the hell is up with you?'

Elena just looks towards the staircase again. She doesn't even care at the moment. Only moments later, Rebekah's mother makes an appearance.
"I'll be back, I have to use the bathroom. Too much wine." Elena says as she pulls herself away from Damon, "Don't let them start without me."
"I won't, you of all people, have to be here for this." Damon says as he purses his lips. Elena gives a fake smile and turns for the bathroom. She really does have to pee. The only sound Elena hears as she enters the bathroom, is the sound of her heels on the floor.
'
Empty. Good.' She says to her self before locking the door and rushing towards the only window. She lifts it, quickly, before she practically dives out of it. She rolls out of a thorn bush and onto the lawn. Might have been a better idea to carefully lower herself out of the window. No matter, no time. She jumpy to her feet and leans foreward as she runs across the lawn. She runs on her toes so that she doesn't sink into the dirt on her heels. She glances towards Niklaus' house, everyone is inside, no one is looking for her. She spins back frontwards as her heels hit the road.
'
One shot Elena, one shot.' She tells herself as her heels click-clack on the pavement. Her lungs feel like bursting, but she doesn't care. She carries her dress and tries to ignore the cold wind blowing through her hair and knawing on her shoulders. She feels like an eagle as she practically flies across the assphault, her heels are slowing her down, though. She slows down and pauses momentarily, just to rip off her heels. She hasn't got time to fiddle with the snatches, she just yanks them off, leaving scratches on her ankles. She throws her shoes in a ditch next to the road, and then she grabs her skirt and runs down the road like there is fire on her ass.