Nineteen

Miku paced back and forth. Her breathing was faulty. Her eyelids were wavy. Her hair was nappy, tied back in a messy ponytail.

Anger. Confusion. Fear. Concern. Worry. Uncertainty.

These are the things she was feeling. It was past midnight now. She'd stayed up. She had been waiting and waiting.

Alex never came back.

No one knew where he was either. Not even Kathy, who always knew where her client and friend was. That was especially concerning. No police weren't involved yet, but Miku was considering calling them anyways.

Miku had been following the news about Alex's trial. The news on the verdict hadn't been released to the public yet, but Kathy had texted her the news.

Alex was found not guilty of all charges, and the judge fined that mother for harassment, half of what Alex had stipulated.

So why has he disappeared?

Miku looked at her phone again for the 400th time. Still no text message or phone call from Alex. It was bad enough that he was missing. It was worse that he had reassured no one, especially her, that he was okay.

Miku sat down on her bed and rubbed her eyes. Her eyes teared up a little in a combination of her worry and the pulling numbness of sleepiness. She laid her head down, and fell asleep without realizing it.

She quickly pulled her head up and looked at the clock. It was 3 in the morning. She'd slept for three hours. She rubbed her eyes again. A silhouette caught the corner of her eye. She turned her head and jumped with a gasp.

Someone was sitting at the edge of her bed! She turned the lamp on, reaching into her cabinet for her pepper spray. She pointed it at him,  but stopped.

He recognized the person's hair.

"Alex?" She asked softly.

He didn't answer, which worried Miku. She could smell a stench on him that smelled faintly like the spray of a skunk. She slowly walked around the bed, sitting down by him.

"Baby?" She asked softly, putting a hand on his cheek.

He turned with her hand and looked at her. His mouth hung open sleepily, and his eyelids hung low. His eyes were red and spotty.

Miku was horrified.

"What happened to you?!" She exclaimed. Alex put a hand on her cheek, blinking a few times.

"It was just a dance..." He muttered in a slur. Miku laid him down on his back, holding him lightly. He soon fell asleep on the bed.

Miku pulled away from him, and suddenly began to sob. Seeing him like this made her heart sink, and she feared where he had gone that had left him in such a condition.

She walked to her side of the bed and grabbed her phone. She quickly texted Kathy that Alex was back. She got no reply, so she went to sleep.

***

Miku was up early that morning, still unable to sleep. She got dressed in a hoodie and sweatpants. Alex was still passed out on the bed, his suit sloppy and wrinkled.

Miku stared at him for a while, considering what she should do. What she really wanted was to punch him and scream at him for disappearing, but she knew that would not work well for the relationship.

But still, she felt betrayed. It was like he had left the world and abandoned them for a night. Except he hadn't left the world. He had gone somewhere. Somewhere bad.