Twenty

Alex sat in a chair at the engineer's table, headphones over his ear and looking through pictures on Instagram. He listened to Hatsune Miku on her recording session.

Alex coughed a bit, adjusting his headphones and his laptop as Miku finished her session. He pressed a button and began speaking to her.

"Hey Hatsune?"

"Yes?"

"Could you do your ad libs for the second half of the song again? Something didn't quite gel with the first set."

"Sure babe. I'm gonna take a break after, okay?"

"Sounds good." Alex nodded, sitting back in his chair. He scrolled back on the track and hit play. Miku signaled him to rewind a little, so he did. She did her ad libs.

Once finished, she came back around and joined Alex in the booth, sitting by him. He got to work doing some editing. She watched him work, running her hand on his back.

Alex yawned a bit, pulling his headphones off. "There. Sounds good now. I like this song. It's got kind of a modern techno disco feel to it."

"I'm glad you like it. I thought it'd be fun to do more of a bubblegum song." Miku said with a smile. Alex nodded.

"Awesome. I'm gonna do some sets now. Just hit the play button when I give you the thumbs up. Kay hun?" Alex asked as he switched to a different track.

"Sounds easy enough." Miku said, taking his chair as he got up. He walked into the booth and put his headphones on. Miku put on the headphones Alex had been wearing.

Alex got himself situated, cleared his throat, then gave Miku a thumbs up. Miku hit the Spacebar, and he began to sing.

Kathy came in at the moment. Miku slid the headphones off again, smiling at her as she came in.

"Taking up sound engineering?" Kathy asked jokingly, chuckling as she sat by Miku.

"No one's here to do it for me, so a girl's gotta take matters into her own hands, y'know?" Miku giggled.

"How is he?" Kathy asked, glancing up at Alex, who looked a little bored as he sang.

"Doing a little better. I managed to crack him up this morning." Miku said with a proud little smile. Kathy chuckled.

"That's good. Good progress. And he's recording too. That's a good sign. What's he working on?" Kathy asked. Miku shrugged.

"I don't know."

Kathy reached for the sound engineer headphones, putting them on. He was singing Viva La Vida. Kathy nodded, setting them down again.

"A cover. Well, it's still progress. I'm sure his fans will appreciate it." Kathy said with a nod.

"Was it the same way last time?" Miku asked.

"Last time, it took him a year and a half to even get motivated again." Kathy answered. Miku nodded slowly.

"It is good progress then."

Alex finished the song, nodding to Miku and Kathy. He came into the booth.

"How'd that sound?" He asked.

"O-oh. I don't know. I wasn't listening to the whole thing." Miku answered.

"Auuugh," Alex groaned dramatically, tilting his head up and bending his knees. "You're so unreliableeeeee." He said, stretching out the last syllable for a few extra seconds.

"I'm sorryyyyyyyyy." Miku responded in turn with a similar tone. He scoffed a bit.

***

Alex and Miku got in a car. Alex pulled the car into drive and off they went. Miku got comfy in her seat, putting her sunglasses on and responding to text messages.