Trust

Oliver

It was already noon when Ezra finally arrives from school. He doesn’t speak up but the door slamming shut indicated his presence.

“Hello, Ezra.” Mom says from the kitchen.

By this hour, Oliver and Maddie were coloring on a Disney color book in the second living room.

“Ezzy!” Maddie drops her crayon and runs to her brother.

“Hey there, Madds.” His deeper voice answers the girl.

“I’m coloring with Oli!” She says as she tugs on his sleeve.

“Oli?” He looks up to his mom who has walked into the hall.

“The new addition to the family.” Oliver could see the smile behind that in his mind.

There was a small silence until Ezra speaks up from behind Oliver.

“Ezzy, meet Oli.” She chirps.

Oliver looks up from the page he was coloring and lands on Ezra’s face. It’s similar. He stands to tower over Ezra.

Ezra tilts his head up a bit to meet his eyes. “Hello, Oliver.” He extends his arm.

“Hello.” Oliver takes his hand and do a simple hand shake.

Oliver took in Ezra’s form. He wore dark clothing: black V-neck, dark jeans, black vans, and a gray varsity jacket. His skin was a slightly tanner shade than Oliver’s and his eyes were a deep blue. His mouse brown hair tousled to the side. He saw that he had a small habit of stuffing his hands in his front pockets.

“Is Madds treating you well?” He says mockingly.

Oliver nods. “If making me play pretend and color with her then I hope so.”

Ezra chuckles. “Yeah. This is why I rarely invite my friends. She thinks they’re ok with all this girly stuff.”

Oliver immediately let his guard down. He felt like they were going to get along.

“I’m going upstairs. I have a PS4 if you wanna join?”

“I’ve never played before.”

“Well you could learn. Come on.” Ezra nods and leads Oliver upstairs.

“So what inspired all those tattoos and piercings.” He asks.

Oliver shrugs even though he knew Ezra couldn’t see it. “My tattoos tell a story. Piercings were a phase that I don’t bother to get rid of.”

He nods in understanding. “I have a few myself.” He admits.

“Why?” Was all Oliver could say.

Ezra shrugs. “Thought they’d look cool. It’s mostly an inspiration thing.

Oliver felt like he understood him. They had similar thoughts and he wasn’t like some kind of snobby rich kid he thought he would be, or generally a step-brother that wouldn’t accept him and completely shut him out like his former families.

“Mind showing me a few of your tats?” Ezra asks as he closes the door behind him.

“Not at all. Mind if I?” He points to his shirt.

“Go ahead.” He waves it off and takes off his jacket only to throw it on his bed.

He removes his shirt, revealing his ink-covered body. 

Ezra doesn’t speak but he only gazes over his chest and closes the space between them. He runs his fingers lightly along the tattoos that covered his torso and chest.