Struggle

Marcel

“What did he do?” Marcel talks to the phone as he lies on his bed.

“Well he kind of lost it a bit and to be honest he looked a little frightening.” Mandy replies from the other side of the phone.

He pauses. “He didn’t do anything to you did he?”

“No, no. I’m fine. He just freaked out a bit because he had no clue that I knew about this.”

He seems to exhale. “Right.”

“Well he did say he was sorry for leaving things the way he did that other day.”

“Oh, he did?”

“Yep. He says he’s going to talk to you. I don’t know when that’s gonna happen but he said he is.”

“Oh, alright. Well I am a bit relieved that he feels that way. I thought he was never going to talk to me again.”

“Yeah. I had a feeling he would. He can’t just ignore you like that.” She admits.

“I guess you’re right.”

“I’m always right.”

He chuckles. “Of course, Mandy.”

“Thanks, Fin.”

There was a small silence on both ends of the line.

“I hope all this works out.” Mandy confesses with a scoff.

“Yeah me too.” He admits.

“Well, Finley, I’m getting sleepy. I’m going to bed. Good night. See you tomorrow, kai?”

“Alright, good night Mandy.”

“Bye.” She hangs up.

He pulls the phone from his ear and stares at the picture of her contact in his iPhone before it fades.

He closes his eyes for a brief moment when a soft knock erupts.

“Come in.” Marcel croaks.

The door opens ajar and Dylan’s face pops out from the small space.

“Hey. Mind if I came in?”

“No.” Marcel replies as he covers his eyes with his arms slung over them.

“What’s wrong?” Concern filled his voice.

He knew he would pop up with that question, his brother would always ask if anything was out of the ordinary for his ordinary younger brother.

“Nothing. Just tired.” He mumbles.

“Are you sure? Is this about Mandy?” He asks cautiously.

“No. You act like my whole world revolves around her.”

“Doesn’t it?” His voice rises at the end.

“No, Dyl. It doesn’t there’s more to think about than just her.”

His brother is taken aback by his younger brother’s answers. He would never really reply with such punitive words.

“I’m sorry. I should not have said anything about her.” Dylan apologizes.

Marcel sighs and drops his arms from his face. “It’s alright, Dylan. I’m just tired.” He rubs at his eyes.

“Ok. I guess I’ll head out then. Good night, bro. See you tomorrow.” He silently walks out before Marcel could say anything.

Marcel sighed and reluctantly dragged himself out of bed. Slowly, he dressed into some plaid pants and a regular white t-shirt. After five minutes of getting ready for bed, he drags himself to his bed. He had no idea what was going on with him but he knew this wasn’t him. His eyebrow furrowed in silent frustration but soon enough his eyelids grew heavy and he drifted to a dreamless sleep.